dell mini 10 vs hp mini 110

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter_ming

Baseband Member
I'm on the market for a $ 400 netbooks, and so it happens HP Mini 110 and Dell Mini 10 are both within the price range, HP is with Atom N280 while Dell is still with the older Atom N270. Both have excellent keyboards, and troublesome touchpads (at least according to reviews). Which one is the better choice for now, and which one is RAM upgradeable?

Thanks in advance.

I have seen the HP Mini and I am quite impressed with the quality of the build.

Could you post up a link of what you are purchasing?

The links are below, the HP 110 is from a local webstore, the Dell mini 10 is from int'l review site.

Jual HP 1013 Mini Note - Notebook Mini / Netbook / UMPC - Harga, Spesifikasi, dan Review

it says the HD is 160 GB 4200 RPM, but from the official HP site and the actual box at the store it's 160 GB 5400 RPM, but i'm not sure if the built for my market is slightly downgraded, 4200 RPM HD is certainly not favorable.

Dell Inspiron Mini 10 review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Laptops and netbooks

while for Dell, the built for my market uses Atom N270 - not Z520 (at least it says on the leaflet, I haven't checked the system config yet), and it has VGA instead of HDMI.

Both have a handsome look (the Dell is unfortunately comes in purple cover instead of black, but I can live with it), great keyborad size, but I like Dell's touchpad better without the vertical click buttons. Then there is the N270 vs N280 (how much difference in performance?) and memory upgrade possibility, Atom can handle 2 GB max, but it's not very clear if Dell and HP can get the 2 GB upgrade.

I'm still saving for a C2D Vaio, so I won't be spilling my money on a mere netbook, it's just that Dell and HP are simply unresistable and with only $ 400 budget I'm willing to make some room :D

I see that your S10 is running Vista Premium with only 1 GB memory, how does it perform?

Thanks for your help!

I am a little more pro-Hp mainly because I just don't like Dell. However I can see that HDMI will have it's advantages. Especialy if you want to hook this up to a TV.

I see that your S10 is running Vista Premium with only 1 GB memory, how does it perform?

Thanks for your help!
Oh yeah. I need to update that at some time.
I ran okay, but you really want to be running service pack 1. And I did find that it worked better quicker when installed with a CD that all ready contain service pack 1.

Since then, I did roll it back to windows Xp home. Mainly because I wanted the hard drive space.

I have seen these with Windows 7 on them. Friend of mine is a teacher. Part of the Keven07 election promises was laptop for high school kids and teachers. He's got the same laptop, but it running 2Gb ram.

Ditto. A lot of these netbooks seem to be upgradable to 2Gb. I think they are doing this so they can run Windows 7 on them when it's released.

hmm, okay, thanks for the input guys!

one thing left: comparison between N270 and N280, how much difference does it really make?

glad to report I finally got the Dell Mini 10, screen is fantastic, keyboards are excellent!

after comparing in the flesh between Dell Mini 10 and HP 110, it seems that they share the exact built on keyboard, it's like one of them is the OEM product of the other (HP 110 has plastic keyboard instead of the steel-look of earlier Mini).

The Dell Mini 10 I got has Atom N270, 1 GB RAM (will have to find out is it is upgradable to 2 GB), 160 GB 5400 RPM HD, XP Home SP3, Microsoft Works 9, PowerDVD, and some tidbits by Dell. I'll work on tweaks and slimming down the unnecessary things, installing some custom softwares, and hopefully it will run according to my need. Will surely report back here with the results after a few days of usage.

@ Keyboard Cowboy: how do you revert to original XP SP3 on you S10? I got the original resintallation disc here, but can I restore it from scratch after installing other OS? Will the disc do a clean install or should I make my own image of the system partition and just restore it when needed?

Many questions will surely come in the next few days since this is my first laptop.

Thanks for all your help guys!!

ok, within 5 minutes of using I've come up with a question:

on performance tab on task manager there are two windows of CPU usage history, how can it be when Atom N270 is not dual core?

Any enlightenment will be appreciated.

Thanks!!

That's not really a problem o_O

Actually that's a good thing, because that CPU is has Hyper-Threading Technology in it. (A virtual core)

Check Intel's specs page for this processor (that's the first result on Google if you looked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom