alienware m11x netbook start up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken morgan

Beta member
Hi all

i was wondering if anybody has a solution to this problem

ive bought my son a m11x hes had it a week. it wont start it gets to the alien face screen the bar gets three quarters across then everthing freezes. done all the stuff in the booklet & ive tried to call dell but they said call back monday doh!

just thought id sound out the great & the good on here to see if missing something simple!

thansk in advance ken

I suspect that is a BIOS/POST error. Normally, if you press Tab, you will see the POST text. I never had an Alienware, so I'm just guessing. Tell us what you see.

hi thankf foe reply

pressing tab had no effect

screen freezes on a picture on a alien(!) with a bar (looks a download bar) three quarters across.

only button that has any effetc that ive found is control & esc which sends you to another screen which info & any two instructions at bottom whoch say press f2 or f12 - f12 no effect f2 does say entering setup when pressed but has done nothing after 10mins.

to turn netbook off he has to let battery run out

ken

You can't hold the power button for ~10 seconds?

It must be something with the BIOS. If you know how to open the laptop, clear BIOS by taking out the CMOS battery for a few minutes, and insert again. About the size of a quarter.

ahhh yes ive taken over now ...get the teenager out the way lol

yes can turn off by pressing off button down

took backoff removed big battery couldnt see little battery didnt want to mess round too much guess im gonna have to wait to call dell tomoorw when i get home form work!

thanks for help

Isn't opening the laptop and taking the CMOS battery out voiding the warranty? (I know the battery goes back in...)

I'm just going to be off topic now and say I've always thought alienware PCs are overpriced. heck, I don't like alienware. Here is the default specs for the custom configurator for their Aurora model:
i7-920, TWO 5670's, 3GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz, 500GB Sata II (7200RPM),and Integrated 7.1.

an i7-920 and two 5670s? what is that? for $1300? I could build my own for waaayyy cheaper and it would look way nicer.

EDIT: Dell may own alienware but I like dell better.

Opening the laptop does not void it. There is no warning sticker.

The M11x is the ONLY Alienware we recommend, for it's gaming potential.

Isn't that a desktop, the Aurora? We are talking about laptops here.

Whatever you think. We recommend only that one. No others.

Opening the laptop does not void it. There is no warning sticker.

The M11x is the ONLY Alienware we recommend, for it's gaming potential.

Isn't that a desktop, the Aurora? We are talking about laptops here.

Whatever you think. We recommend only that one. No others.

the Aurora is a desktop. And you don't have to say "we are talking about laptops here." Because in my post before yours I said I was going to be off topic.

This is the Laptop section, not desktop. Whatever you say about the desktop will not help the OP. So try to stay on topic.

Since the system is brand new I would just give dell a call back and let them handle it. At this point you don't want to do anything that will jeopardize your warranty.

Isn't opening the laptop and taking the CMOS battery out voiding the warranty? (I know the battery goes back in...)

I'm just going to be off topic now and say I've always thought alienware PCs are overpriced. heck, I don't like alienware. Here is the default specs for the custom configurator for their Aurora model:
i7-920, TWO 5670's, 3GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz, 500GB Sata II (7200RPM),and Integrated 7.1.

an i7-920 and two 5670s? what is that? for $1300? I could build my own for waaayyy cheaper and it would look way nicer.

EDIT: Dell may own alienware but I like dell better.

Alenware desktops are completely irrelevant when it comes to this laptop. The M11x is the only gaming netbook in existence and you can't get a better performing 11.6" system for at any price. On top of that it's actually reasonably priced even when you compare it to larger laptops with similar hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom