FreeBSD based custom router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kharn

Lord Techie,
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]ntroduction[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Times NewRoman][SIZE=-1]I've switched ISPs more than a few times due to changing locations, improving technologies, and expanding services. This can be a real hassle for someone who uses their Internet connection for anything other than casual web browsing and e-mail. Not only do my IP addresses change, but often new hardware is required.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Times NewRoman][SIZE=-1]Many ISPs require that you use the modem or modemrouter that they supply. And if you are replacing your router every time, then this means you'll have to learn a new set of proprietary command line instructions (assuming your new router is sophisticated enough to provide this) and spend a lot of time configuring things.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Times NewRoman][SIZE=-1]Even when I'm able to keep my own router, most commercial routers (yes, even expensive Cisco routers) are inflexible and leave me at the mercy of technical support people who often can't tell me the difference between FIN and SYN, and who provide firmware updates only until their next new model comes out.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Times NewRoman][SIZE=-1]After my last move, I'd had enough. I decided to build my own custom router which would be flexible enough to use anywhere and do anything. Here are my experiences after completing the project.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Source.

This is prity interesting stuff, most of the embedded mobo's I have seen cost well more than this and the guy has obviously made a real effort to get this going prity much single handed (not the OS but the implementation / orginality), most of the ones I have seen that are linux based are either designed to run on much older hardware (p2's an p3's etc) or start out great an then become totaly unmaintained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom