Where to start...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
So, lately I've become verrry interested in getting my foot wet in programming and over time, being able to make small indie games as a hobby, not to get into the game industry or anything like that.

I hear c++ is good to know, but that's literally all I know about any programming languages. Are their any good open source programs that you can devlope games in or something?

Also, what would be good to use for an OS to start learning how to program and develop games? Xp, Vista 64-bit, any specifit distro of Linux? Ubuntu by any chance?

I realize this is a very general post, so any help is appreciated.

Learn Java first, and then you can move onto C++ easier if you want to. Java is a great beginner language.

Learn Java first, and then you can move onto C++ easier if you want to. Java is a great beginner language.

Ahh thats why we learned java first in university. Yeah once you understand the object oriented paradigm of java then your off and running.

I didn't learn Java first at all. Learned C, then C++ and then finally Java. Could be that I'm in the game design part of programming.

If you want to look at developing a game for multiple platforms look at SDL development library. It's completely free as well. A few of my friends from college and I are designing a game this summer and we're using SDL. Don't want to prevent Linux users from enjoying our game! :D

GameMaker I guess...
I think you could .torrent it?
Maybe .torrent a trial ;]

It's not that hard and there are a few tutorials out there, except I never payed any attention in my classes when learning it, so don't go asking me for help just because I suggested it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom