Where can I learn programming online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomb Toaster

Solid State Member
Well, I want to learn programming, but I'm only a sophomore in high school, so I don't have any programming classes available to me.
Due to this, I need to learn programming online, but I don't really know where to look.

If anyone has any programming learning sites to recommend, please tell me. Thanks! :D

Best thing to do, start with Visual Basic language and get a lecture book off of eBay or something. Most VB courses or books have very good step-by-step instructions in the book for getting your feet wet. Once you've finished a basic VB book, you can do an advanced VB book. Once you are done with that, you are pretty much ready to tackle languages like Java or C which do not have a built in visual editor but are more in depth and more commonly used today.

free online college courses

Stanford School of Engineering - Stanford Engineering Everywhere

courses
SEE programming includes one of Stanford's most popular engineering sequences: the three-course Introduction to Computer Science taken by the majority of Stanford undergraduates, and seven more advanced courses in artificial intelligence and electrical engineering.

Introduction to Computer Science
Programming Methodology CS106A
Programming Abstractions CS106B
Programming Paradigms CS107

Artificial Intelligence
Introduction to Robotics CS223A
Natural Language Processing CS224N
Machine Learning CS229

Linear Systems and Optimization
The Fourier Transform and its Applications EE261
Introduction to Linear Dynamical Systems EE263
Convex Optimization I EE364A
Convex Optimization II EE364B

To learn about Stanford Engineering graduate education and professional certification delivered online, please visit the Stanford Center for Professional Development.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.

Well, I want to learn programming, but I'm only a sophomore in high school, so I don't have any programming classes available to me.
Due to this, I need to learn programming online, but I don't really know where to look.

If anyone has any programming learning sites to recommend, please tell me. Thanks! :D

I'd start with Web Design. It's the basics of programming in a nutshell really, w3schools.com is an excellent resource for: Javascript, HTML and CSS. (I believe PHP is on there too)

PHP is a pretty good place to start. w3schools and php.net are both excellent resources for it.

But as I've said before, if you are seeking computer programming then don't start with web languages. Once you get used to them you'll find it harder to migrate to other programming languages because it is very very different.

Based on the fact that you just made a thread asking to make an operating system, I'm guessing a web language isn't what you want. Although it would teach you the basic concepts of programming, I'd suggest just starting with a desktop programming language to start with. Something like Visual Basic, C#, C/C++, Java...

They're really all the same, just different syntax and usage.

But as I've said before, if you are seeking computer programming then don't start with web languages.

I disagree, PHP is an excellent way to get into programming. Not only is it a powerful and intuitive language with simplified database access but it is very current and has a big demand in the real world. It is also easy to write, run, debug and distribute.

Once you get used to them you'll find it harder to migrate to other programming languages because it is very very different.

They are different to be sure but which is more different; PHP - java or nothing - java. Compared to nothing at all, PHP is very similar to java.

I disagree, PHP is an excellent way to get into programming. Not only is it a powerful and intuitive language with simplified database access but it is very current and has a big demand in the real world. It is also easy to write, run, debug and distribute.

But it is these traits that make moving to another language harder. Maybe other people don't have this problem, but I do. I find other languages like Java and C-style languages intimidating because of how easy PHP is. I can access a database in one line in PHP, but that is not so for other languages.

They are different to be sure but which is more different; PHP - java or nothing - java. Compared to nothing at all, PHP is very similar to java.

Indeed but you would be learning from scratch if you went with PHP first or if you went with something like Java first. And if you learn OOP standards from the get-go you will be much better off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom