what programs for what language?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are going to be making an FPS then I doubt your going to be programming it if its your first time. I am learning C++ right now also (its been like 3-4 months) and basically all I can do so far is make command line programs. It isn't much but it suites what I want to be able to do. If you are going to want to make a 3d game I recommend using software like 3D Game Studio (www.3dgamestudio.com) because its faster, and you can do more. Learning how to program a 3d shooter using regular c++ would take years and you would spend years behind books reading and reading.

fitzfan said:
ok but if i tried to make a FPS game by my self, not likely that i would even be able to make something that quality, but by my self it would take like 5 years right?

There is no possible way that a guy will be able to create a FPS on his own (no matter how experienced he is). FPS require not only alot of computer programming skills, but also, more importantly, linear algebra (matrices). You would need more than two years of linear algebra to understand how to make a FPS.

Basically, each time the player turns (up, down, left or right), the computer must 'redraw' the image in front of the player. To do this, there is a lot of math going on in the background determining how the image will change. The math alone, after you learn it, would even take months to do these calculations to make the game fluid. Other graphics, like light and shadows make this 100 times harder, which is one of the reasons why Doom 3 is so revolutionary.

For one person to create a good FPS, it would take him literally 30 years. The reason why gaming companies have been able to create these games in a timely fashion is: (1) the man power, (2) technology, (3) they already have the calculations from the previous game, and (4) they already have alot of the source code from earlier games.

So, if you ever want to create a FPS, you should either go get software like the 3D games graphics studio, or hope that you land a job for EA or ID some time in the future.

Actually, C is used more heavily in the gaming industry, because it's faster than C++. But C++ is used as well, C++ was used for Quake III for one thing, that game was awesome.
And I don't think C++ is going to be completely phased out for a while, and if it does get phased out, it's more than likely that C# will be the one to kill it, not Java. Though Java will be a helping factor in that.
These are just my opinions though.

Gaming: C\SDK\
language: windows programmer
start from c then c++ then vc\mfc then .net
Linux: C and c++ and perl and so on and so on

.net and java are dominat develop tools in building big apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom