what programs for what language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzfan

In Runtime
I am going to start learning some programming this summer, but of course i dont know which one to pick( i may start with VB or go right to C++). I have read all the other threads, but i dont have anything exactly in mind on what i want to make, and i dont know what each language is good for. I was wondering what language is best for what programs? like is java the best for 2d games or is VB the best for simple programs and C++ the best for complex things like a web browser or whatever? and if u can add examples of programs, or tell me what type of programs u have made i would appreciate it. I always here c/c++ is faster and stuff but i kind of want some examples. Thanks a lot.

c/c++ is almost always used for professional games such as Unreal series, doom III, half life, mainly because is superior in control and speed to most other languages, a big plus for games. c/c++ is also used for several other non-game apps, probably most executables you run are made in c/c++. java is good for portable apps, ones you can use on different operating systems, and for apps on the internet. vb, i dont like too much, but you can make apps very quickly and easily in vb which i guess is its main attraction to developers. i dont know of any specific apps made in vb, although i know there are some.

ok but if i tried to make a FPS game by my self, not likely that i would even be able to make something that quality, but by my self it would take like 5 years right?

it will take a while to comfort yourself with basic c++ code, i'd say. if you have never done programming at all, you have to teach yourself the basics of it. c++ like the one guy said is very stable and is able to make good games and whatnot. personally i like java because of the easy web interface. java is also free. i try to stray away from mircosoft solutions :D

poipo lol, ms solutions lmao

c++ was the hardest language for me to learn, and it is similar to JAVA ( in my humble oppinion lol )
If your new to programming I recommend vb to start, like everyone else does lol
If you feel comfortable with the material go for C++ :)
hope i helped
Al

I took C++ this year as an introductory programming course. However, you will fiund that the main difference between C and C++ is that C++ is Object Oriented.... in the real scheme of things, though, if o-o programming is needed, typically JAVA is used... so first thing to do is learn C (not C++). Then, the road forks: if you're into more heavy programming, go for java; if you're into more of a web-based programming job, learn perl, vb, javascript, etc.

I know a wee bit of VB, lol, and it's hard for me. Too much math-like stuff and it's confusing... I doubt I'll ever learn it well enough to make anything usefull (I can't even make a working calculator, lol).

But yes, VB seems to be much easier than some of the other languages. I like how it's got the GUI that lets you arrange the buttons and boxes and such, and through the GUI you can access the code directly (like double clicking Button A will take you to the coding window, with Button A selected so all you have to do is tell it how Button A is activated, and what Button A does, if what Button A does is simple).

Visual Studio comes with the Form Builder for every langauge I think. Don't qoute me, but then again Visual Studio is a couple g's out of your pocket.

yes i believe it does, but you can also get netbeans, a free ide for java with a form builder, and im sure you can get form builders for other languages too

I would not reccommend starting with VB and good luck starting with C++ LOL, C++ is in the process of being phased out and will eventually be replaced with Java overtime. If you want to learn Windows programming start with a real language Pascal, or move on to Delphi like i did. VB is a waste of time in my opinion, Delphi is also just as good as C++ when it comes to game programming. As for your inital question "what programs for what language?", you first need to know what you want to program, if you want to make windows applications use Delphi and or C++. If you want to make script applations then use PHP or JavaScript or something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom