What to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

If you are going to university for Computer Science you really don't have to know any language, so if you don't have the time don't worry about it. They generally start out with the basics and work your way up. If you really want to learn something though I would suggest Java. Java's got a lot of great things going for it, it's OO, forgiving and powerful. Plus it's doesn't hold your hand like VB does and it also doesn't let you chop your own head off like C. An added bonus is the API is right there on the website for reference so you don't have to go wadding through tons of shit to find a good tutorial.

thanx for that cdecarlo... i think ill have to start thinkin like that... i never looked into java.. but you raise some good points... but wots your opinion on c#..?

Age?

Howdy, everyone read your replies and I am 50 and only been using a PC for around 8 months. But enjoy this thing so much; without it I would be at a lost.

Has anyone heard of dMSN? It has been around for alittle time now it was started by a 16yr old over in Holland. So you guys that are youngin's to me have it on your side to be able to do the things that this dude has done and alot more of you youngin's.

If you never heard of it let me know and I'll put out the link to it.
I usually wait to see a response before putting it out there.

Wish I had started a long time ago but the old saying goes "better late that never".

PS: like with most new programs it does have some bugs but nothing of any magnitude!

Java.

cdecarlo said:
Hey,

If you are going to university for Computer Science you really don't have to know any language, so if you don't have the time don't worry about it. They generally start out with the basics and work your way up. If you really want to learn something though I would suggest Java. Java's got a lot of great things going for it, it's OO, forgiving and powerful. Plus it's doesn't hold your hand like VB does and it also doesn't let you chop your own head off like C. An added bonus is the API is right there on the website for reference so you don't have to go wadding through tons of shit to find a good tutorial.

Hey cdecarlo, I am interested in learning Java do you have any good links that provide online free lessons besides about.com? I have this language program that let's you learn Hebrew and it is Java based. Any pointer's I would appreciate it, Thanks before hand ay.;)

quote : "An added bonus is the API is right there on the website for reference so you don't have to go wadding through tons of shit to find a good tutorial."

Hardryve... u is the API he mentioned on the about.com... if not you may want to check that out first seen as he did say it...

and what the hell are you posting about dmsn here... ive heard of it... but tbh theres nowt wrong wiv MSN and using msn plus... can you please look where you post.. cus i am getting some good advice here and i dont want to have to wade thru irrelevant stuff... maybe you should look at the "off topic discussion" :p ...

o and if you are looking for some stuff for use with MSN check out...

www.mess.be

I've never done any coding in c#, I had a friend that worked with it on a co-op placement and he said it's the cats meow. From what I've heard it's really high level but really good too. I think it would be something that they would teach at a college not a university. It's worth looking into though, it might be this industries next VB.

just my $0.02

high level u say... hmm java sounds good :p... ill think ill have to take your advice earlier and just wait to see what they teach me.. i think ill look into java but i dont have time to learn it i dont think... well thanx angain cdecarlo..

WastedYouth said:
quote : "An added bonus is the API is right there on the website for reference so you don't have to go wadding through tons of shit to find a good tutorial."

Hardryve... u is the API he mentioned on the about.com... if not you may want to check that out first seen as he did say it...

and what the hell are you posting about dmsn here... ive heard of it... but tbh theres nowt wrong wiv MSN and using msn plus... can you please look where you post.. cus i am getting some good advice here and i dont want to have to wade thru irrelevant stuff... maybe you should look at the "off topic discussion" :p ...

o and if you are looking for some stuff for use with MSN check out...

www.mess.be
I thought you have to pay for MSN? I use Window's Messenger; but does MSN have Java on it? If so I may have a look.

Part of the reasoning behind mentioning dMSN is to herald the youth of today this guy is only 16 yrs old I thought that in and of itself deserved merit. Nothing wrong with boasting a little I was not intentionally advertising for them so relax my friend I may end up having MSN as well, "Chow"!.........
Hardryve:beard:

harddryve, there are more talented ppl than the lad who made dMSN, i cant remember the exact ages but he made a C++ (i think) compiler and was 16!! thats a litle more of an acheivement that dMSN... and i suggest you do get MSN but get MSN plus, theres soem useful utils... and i wasnt having a go... just thought you had posted in wrong place...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom