Website questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet alright well I'm on track now, I'll learn how to use CSS styles better and since I have dreamweaver I'll figure out how to make a template.

I suggest starting out by using premade templates, and working your way up to coding it comepletely on your own. Theres some good templates on http://www.oswd.org/

It's a great way to learn on your own

Alright I am a complete noob at this so correct me if I'm wrong. From what I've gathered from reading over the CSS stuff and other stuff it's like this.

Div tags are nice because they seperate the pages and are easier to define the attributes that you can attach to them in CSS pages.

Any of the actual elements on the page can not be added using CSS, the CSS only ever defines the styles for anything.

So would my best option for making a similar looking layout as the one I currently have on www.thescurvyshack.com be to make a webpage as a template that uses div tags instead of the tables. Have the links set out in the tables, and define the styles for how everything should look in the CSS.

The only thing I am wondering about that is are the div tags easy to edit without mucking up the alignment of the page. Like if I added a new blurb for a day on the front page, would it mess up all the alignment like tables always do?

The main page will be getting new posts on it every time I edited the site, which is why I was thinking maybe there is some way I can put an object or something on the front page that will like it to another file that has the content for each post.

Also is there a way to link div tags and layers? What I mean is, I have an image at the bottom and the top of the main text area so it looks rounded at the edges. I've tried div tags and layers and am running into this problem, whenever I keep adding stuff to the text layer, it goes over the bottom layer as more text is added, rather than the bottom layer moving as the text layer expands.

I've run into another hitch. I've managed to figure out how to use div tags that use styles defined in the CSS, so everything is working pretty well. The problem is that when you change resolutions the page doesnt look the same, it moves stuff around on the page. The same thing happens if you take the window and drag it smaller, all the stuff moves around.

How do I make it static, the only time I ever want it changing position is if your resolution is higer so that it makes sure the contents is centered, if this is too confusing an explanation then just tell me and I'll post the stuff I'm working on to show the problem.

Ok I'll try to make it clearer as to what the problem is. I want my webpage to be a simple two column style with a few divisions at the top for the main picture and such.

I am trying to do it with division tags because they seem to be cleaner then tables, and I had this problem with tables anyhow.

I want the page to be optimized for people with resolutions of 1024x768 or higher. It should always look the same, and will not scale with resolutions so it doesnt reposition stuff.

Right now it is repositioning stuff which I dont want, how do I get rid of that?

For example: go to www.thescurvyshack.com and then drag the window smaller and larger, notice how the "Version" words stay in the middle as you drag it? I want that gone so it is always at a certain coordinate and never moves.

Here's examples of what I want when you try to resize the windows:

http://www.stopdesign.com/articles/absolute/

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom