Website Database to Website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollincatera

In Runtime
Greetings,

Digital graphics/computer repair guy here. I have a client that is looking to start a project and asked me to assist him.

Basically what the guy wants to do is have a main website that sells products(which i've already designed for him). He then wants to sell other websites to people who are in the same business as him....but use his products(images).

Is there a way to link the "new" websites to his current website and products so i wouldnt have to design and put together a new site everytime he sells a "new" website package? Website catalog is over 10,000 products, so creating a new website everytime can be quite expensive for him.

hope i explained it well enough....

thanks in advance,

Ever thought of using a SQL Database to hold the info and just using queries back and forth to get the info? I guess I'd need to understand the problem better...

actually thats what the isp guy suggested...

how exactly does that work? any links to a explanation of this?

thanks!

Well you have several options, they will each vary depending on your choice.
1. You could use a MySQL Database, and use PHP to code the site.
2. You could use a MS SQL Database (which is my favorite) and use ASP or ASP.NET to code the site (asp.net can be either C# or VB)

The good thing about MySQL and PHP is that they're free and lots of hosts have them. The thing I don't like is that they seem far less advanced than MS SQL.
I love MS SQL, but either you're going to have to find a host that uses them, or you're going to have to set up your own server (with IIS) and find a copy of Microsoft SQL Server 2000. If you do that, then using them is a peice of cake.

First I would suggest learning some T-SQL statements, because they will be useful if you choose mySql or ms Sql. To learn that, go here:
http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

Then if you're interested in using MySQL go learn PHP.
If you're interested in using MS SQL go learn ASP or ASP.NET (C# or VB.NET)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom