Visual Basic

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoobieSrUs

Baseband Member
Do yall think Visual Basic is a good program to learn the basics of computer programming?
Just wondering because Im paying 583$ USD to take a Visual Basic Computer Programming Class threw PCDI (Professional Career Developement Institute) and I was wondering if Visual Basic was realy going to be what I need?

While what language you start out with doesn't matter too much, I would avoid Visual Basic. Its great as an add-on language. RAD, plug-ins, and other similar bits of code mesh well with VB, but in the end I found it to be quite annoying.

Regardless, you will still learn much about programming, so it should be a decent investment.

I'd avoid VB like the plague! Personally, I'd recomend Python for a first language. Like C.Ingram said, it doesn't really matter that much which language you learn as your first. But it's a good idea to choose a language that will give you a good overall idea of progaramming, and teach you good programming practice at the same time, neither of which VB will do.

I am a VB fan and I program in it. Fairly easy to use, mostly design and coding, not much else.
Start out with HTML and assembly and some other stuff, then go all the way into C and C++, the building blocks of OS's like linux.
There you go, from the small stuff to the big boys.

Visual Basic is good for developing applications FAST. It's very easy to use. However, it's slow.

I'd recommend Delphi over VB.

My reason:
Delphi > VB

C/C++ > All Languages.

Nuff sed.

well, depends on your need.. if you only need to transfer one application data to another application on a windows platform, go ahead and knock yourself out with VB.. other than that, avoid VB.. what i personally recommend is a syntactically pure language and a general platform language.. such as scheme, which makes a great teaching language because of it's tiny core and pure syntax.. mmm.. if you need a tried and true language.. well, python is the way to go for beginners, it has relatively nice syntax without all the junk Java has hanging over from C++.. if you really want to get serious and learn the mother of all modern language (literally), learn Common Lisp :D google "Practical Common Lisp", a online book, a great one in fact, published last month :D It still holds the distinction as the most powerful language currently exists, both measured in lines of code, number of distinct elements, and programmer productivity :D

Originally posted by mack:
C/C++ > All Languages.
[little girl voice]
Common guys, lets all jump on the C/C++ is better than anything wagon. Because everyone knows, if you spout those words people thing you're 1337. Even though we don't know what we're talking about, and don't back up our opinions with fact!
[/little girl voice]

What makes you say C/C++ is better than any language? Please hummor me.

Hmm, Im not gettin yea points... Lol

So I shouldnt Start with VB? Would VB get me a good career in the future?

Im clueless, lol! I've just always wanted to be a programmer or a tech, and I dont wanna start my learnings with something that would be useless in the future for my career.

BTW, I already bought the VB Computer Programming course, did that well b4 I started this thread, so Im kinda stuck with it, but any other languages I could learn while learning VB that could kinda interact with VB would be helpfull!

.NET will land you a decent job. Many companies are switching to it, and considering .NET does contain VB.NET (Although I prefer C#) your class won't be useless. Actually a lot of compaines use VB, but this doesn't by any means make it a good language.
VB.NET is quite different from traditional VB, though if you already know VB, it will make learning VB.NET much easier.
In my opinion, if you're going to learn VB.NET you might as well spend the extra time and learn C#, because that will really pay off, and it's about the same effort.

Thank you!

I will definently keep all this in mind!

At least Now I know that my 583$ or w/e it was (ill have to look at my tuition fee again) wasnt a waste :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom