VFP 5.0 Browsing Icon field in table

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpenceQ

Baseband Member
What I want to do is display a character sized check mark icon(forground=black,backg=white) on the far left column in my browse window if the user selects it, then display a blank white icon if he changes his mind. The default is white or unchecked. After all his selections are made he clicks a button to delete the checked records, just like in Yahoo mail. This would be a more gui friendly and familiar way than fading or coloring the whole record line.

Again making use of the icon image, there are three categories of data that I want to display in column 2. A character sized icon of a big green,yellow or red dot on white background depending on the record class.

Is there a way to browse a character sized icon field in a table in VFP 5.0.? The closest field type to an image would be a memo binary, but FP would need to allow and know how to display it. There is a way to do this in VFP 9.0, but my version is 5.0.

Failing that, the next best thing would be to edit a seldom used TrueType font character out of say an Arial, then save it back for FP to use as a general font. I would need to distribute the font along with the application, so it would need to be a non-copyrighted public font, if anyone knows any.?
I would need a (TT) Font Editor for that. It has the advantage in that color attributes would still apply to it.

Thanks for the help.

Spence

Update:

I found a reasonable alternative in using a CHECKBOX object as a GRID column, then "SPARSE"ing it to the row(record) action.

It calls for the Table to be restructured to include a Logical type field that represents the check,uncheck action of the chekbox.

See: VB5 Docs, "Grid Columns, Displaying Controls

UNtil BLOB types are accepted as a data type, then it will have to do. Frankly, I'm a surprised that VFoxpro doesn't allow it. Even in the early nineties, using 16 bit Delphi's DBE allowed you to display images in a column, and it scroll in the record browze along with data. Pretty impressive stuff.

Spence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom