VB.NET reading CPU Temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthTools

Hardware/VB.net/Anti-vir
It is impossible to only use VB. You need to use C/C++ to access the temperature monitor or use the info provided by WMI (if your board supports it of course). VB isn't powerful enough of a language to do that sort of thing. By powerful I mean it can't access all of the system's hardware like a top level language such as C++.

Can I ask why you're trying this with VB of all languages? I can help you implement the C++ code if you know a C based language.

It is impossible to only use VB.
Actually, that's not true. WMI can be accessed via .NET, so it is possible (assuming he's using VB.NET and not VB 6). He could also use platform invoke (ie, interop) to call any native methods, as well.

If you're using VB.Net, then the functionality is part of the underlying framework. In his case, it's transparent. If you're really wanting to split hairs about this, then your second sentence applies to C++ or C, as well. There's always going to be an intermediary at some level. In this instance, we're specifically talking about writing a Windows application that can retrieve values from the system hardware. While C++ doesn't need to go through .NET (though it could), it does have to communicate with an OS subsystem using win32 or some other API.

If you're using VB.Net, then the functionality is part of the underlying framework. In his case, it's transparent. If you're really wanting to split hairs about this, then your second sentence applies to C++ or C, as well. There's always going to be an intermediary at some level. In this instance, we're specifically talking about writing a Windows application that can retrieve values from the system hardware. While C++ doesn't need to go through .NET (though it could), it does have to communicate with an OS subsystem using win32 or some other API.

I fully agree with your explanation but I didn't think Stealth would want to start "splitting hairs" :).

Stealth the easiest way for you to use VB would be to find a C source code driver. I would recommend you do it this way as WMI is more situational.

I know this is an old post but I have a question. While you guys were splitting hairs, it doesn't look like you answered the question..... Although I am just starting to get back into programming after a 23 year absence, maybe I missed the answer.

The reason I bring it up is because I'm looking for similar info.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom