VB Express and SQL Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexluethar

Fully Optimized
Okay, so I gave up on a program I was creating about 3 months ago and I think i'm going to give it another crack.:cool:

The problem I ran into was passing variables from my vb form (usually text boxes and combo boxes) to my sql database. I've got the connection string on the forms I use, and when directly connecting a text box to one of my db tables it works great (i've added tons of data this way and it passes correctly to the table). My issue is I want the user to enter some data, i want to validate that data and throw out any errors that are needed, then assuming all is well send that data to a certain field (row/column) in my SQL database. Then at some point I will need to extract that value when needed.

See I could do most of this by just directly connecting the text boxes, but validation becomes an issue, and holding onto those values becomes difficult too. So i'd like to just be able to have a text box, the user enter the data, I capture that data (and validate), then when I want to (probably at the end of a form) pass that data to where it needs to go in the table.

What am i missing?! How do i do this? I have the variable w/ the value, but i don't know how to pass it, the connection is open but i don't know the command to pass a particular variable/variables to where i want them.

Sorry if some of this is vague, i can be more specific once i get home and open it up. Any insight or input would be greatly appreciated - my sanity hangs in the balance!:confused:

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom