Unity for mobile apps

danhodge

In Runtime
So I've given up trying to get Xamarin working (that software seems to hate me), and I'm looking for new software to develop apps for android, preferably in C#.

And I realized that i already have a couple of years experience using an engine that lets me release to Android using C# - Unity. It's come a long way with GUI, 2D and that kind of thing recently, so why not? I'm wanting to develop a budgeting app, so it would look somewhat Excel like.

Any opinions on why this would be too bad of an idea? I know Unity's only non-game market right now is stuff like simulations, but I really feel like it could work out. Alternative software suggestions would also be nice (even non c# if that's what it requires).

Thanks,
Danny

You could just develop apps in Java with the android sdk. Unity is for games so I don't think it will be a good idea.

There's always Visual Studio, which is free for individual developers :) I use it for C# programming, though not for android. But it does support coding for android, so it may be a viable option for you?

There's always Visual Studio, which is free for individual developers :) I use it for C# programming, though not for android. But it does support coding for android, so it may be a viable option for you?

That's what i'm using, i'm a student so i get free VS and Xamarim(this is the VS extension for cross platform) :)

And Java is a good shout, but i was hoping for something with a good interface like VS for the actual design (if Java has that i apologize for being a spoon, please point me in the right direction, ive only ever used eclipse).

That's what i'm using, i'm a student so i get free VS and Xamarim(this is the VS extension for cross platform) :)

And Java is a good shout, but i was hoping for something with a good interface like VS for the actual design (if Java has that i apologize for being a spoon, please point me in the right direction, ive only ever used eclipse).

Use Android SDK (Android Studio) https://developer.android.com/studio/index.html

It has the best interface for android app design imo.

So what's the issue you're having with Xamarin?

Android Studio is based off of JetBrains IDEA which is loads better than the Eclipse-based solution it used to be. I still like VS over it though...JetBrains has a lot of quirks itself.

Oh i've googled it furiously, keeps telling me Android sdk needs updating when it definitely doesnt. So it refuses to work now. I think ive tried everything :')

Yeaah, error i'm getting now is:
"target sdk version must be greater than or equal to the build using sdk"
I'm getting that on here, I'm assuming this is the problem:
screeniieee.png

Back
Top Bottom