total NOOB wants to learn how to program...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it does. Sadly it does.

I agree that it does too, for VB, at least. VB was never intended to be an object-oriented language but it tries to incorporate some of those features. Because of this, a lot of the syntax is quirky, at best, and create a *******ization of the object-oriented paradigm. If you want to learn good design methodologies I would suggest avoiding VB. But, it is good for what it was designed for, which is creating quick GUIs.

Yes it does. Sadly it does.
No, it doesn't. Learning languages that are outside the C family do far more good than bad. They allow the programmer to learn different approaches to similar problems. For instance, approaches in solving complex problems are much different in Lisp than in C++. Bad coding habits arise from laziness and lack of discipline. If a programmer doesn't learn the coding convention and the language details of a new language, that is a lack of discipline.

No, it doesn't. Learning languages that are outside the C family do far more good than bad. They allow the programmer to learn different approaches to similar problems. For instance, approaches in solving complex problems are much different in Lisp than in C++. Bad coding habits arise from laziness and lack of discipline. If a programmer doesn't learn the coding convention and the language details of a new language, that is a lack of discipline.

I don't think he said ALL languages outside of C/C++. He was referring to VB specifically.

I don't think he said ALL languages outside of C/C++. He was referring to VB specifically.
It doesn't matter what language he was referring to, the same logic applies. If a programmer fails to learn the coding conventions and language details of a new language, that is a lack of discipline. A willingness not to learn the specifics of a new language/platform/framework has nothing to do with the first language the programmer learned -- whether it was VB, Fortran, Pascal, etc.

It doesn't matter what language he was referring to, the same logic applies. If a programmer fails to learn the coding conventions and language details of a new language, that is a lack of discipline. A willingness not to learn the specifics of a new language/platform/framework has nothing to do with the first language the programmer learned -- whether it was VB, Fortran, Pascal, etc.

We are NOT talking about coding conventions, language syntax, features, etc. We (Well I am) are talking about overall methodologies. For example, VB doesn't allow you to truly do OO....so to expect someone to learn proper OO methodologies with a language that has to jerry rig it is not being realistic. There are a ton of other design patterns and methodologies that can be met by different languages, I don't argue that. VB, specifically, does not really do any of them well, if at all. It is basically a procedural language that tries to do things beyond its scope. I have seen plenty of VB only programmers who try to program in other languages while trying to adhere to some design pattern or methodology. They totally butcher it because VB did not teach them the proper way to implement it because they had to improvise and work around the language. I'm not saying you can't be a good programmer by starting off with VB, but you could do better.

For example, VB doesn't allow you to truly do OO....so to expect someone to learn proper OO methodologies with a language that has to jerry rig it is not being realistic.
My original point still stands. However, unless you're talking about VB 6 or an earlier version, there is no "jerry-rigging" involved in using VB to learn object oriented methodology. It offers most of the same things as Java and C# (in terms of OOP): the traditional class/object model, single inheritance, polymorphic method dispatching, and access control at the method and field levels.

I should point out that I'm not a VB apologist, as I really don't like the language myself. I'm a C# guy, so that would be my recommendation for any aspiring Windows developers. But VB is not nearly as bad as it used to be.

It is basically a procedural language that tries to do things beyond its scope.
This is only true of VB 6 and earlier.

My original point still stands. However, unless you're talking about VB 6 or an earlier version, there is no "jerry-rigging" involved in using VB to learn object oriented methodology. It offers most of the same things as Java and C# (in terms of OOP): the traditional class/object model, single inheritance, polymorphic method dispatching, and access control at the method and field levels.

I should point out that I'm not a VB apologist, as I really don't like the language myself. I'm a C# guy, so that would be my recommendation for any aspiring Windows developers. But VB is not nearly as bad as it used to be.

This is only true of VB 6 and earlier.

Yeah, I guess, but it is clunky as ****. But I live with that. VB .NET is far superior than older VBs. Still not to my liking though. :happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom