Think Big

Status
Not open for further replies.

strifer

Baseband Member
Hi. I'm currently on my second year in college and i finished my C++ course. I was thinking that C++ is really cool when it comes to making programs. But examples and programs made at school kinda sucks when you see some professionals/elite programs out there... I wanna learn more about C++. At school C++ ends at classes and nothing more. I wanna learn to use C++ to make online games (if possible and other useful stuff, not just simple exercises), graphics. Port scanners and the like.Virus, but for educational purposes only. Can somebody help me or direct me to where can i find some source to make my dream possible Or if there's any book you could recommend.? :)

Thanks in advance.... :)

Man, where to start :)
To make online games (by online games I mean games that are inside webpages...not like multiplayer quake or anything) You should check out other languages like Java (which is very similar to C++). For virus like stuff you can use c++ but you'll also probably want a good knowledge of assembly. C++ would be great for things like port scanners and other applications. As for resources check out this thread:

http://www.elitehackers.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001237
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31371

Those should help a ton. As for books, you really can't go wrong. There's not that many books that would be a waste of time.

Wow. It IS very useful. Thanks man!!! I better start reading. :)
BTW, when i comes to online multiplayer games (Quake, RO), do they use Java also to make one?

Thanks again...

Most games are written in C++ and many programmers use QT 3. Writting viruses is stupid as hell, it is too easy so there is nothing educational about it. Just stick to games and applications; you should also be aware that computer science is not software development. So if you are a computer science major then you should try take as many programming intensive courses as possible.

Get some books and start reading, you will have to practice a lot.

Im taking computer Engineering as major... Thanks for your reply. umm... btw, what's QT 3?

Actually most games are made in C, not C++. There are exceptions, and more games are starting to use more and more C++, but for the most part games use C. One of those exceptions is Quake III which was made in C++.
Keep in mind though, to make a game you'd need to know DirectX or something similar (like OpenGL) which will take you a long time to learn.
Good luck.

Depends. If you're a good learner and pick up the topics fast it may not take you too incredably long. I just didn't want you to get your hopes up thinking you're going to create a game in only a few days or weeks. But who knows, you may be really good at it :)

I know it would be a long way... I'm prepared for that. And I'm sure it'll help a lot to have a solid foundation in C++ right? I'm a Computer Engineering student I know i'll need this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom