text editors, worth the learning curve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jaeusm said:
Then you should learn it and use it before speculating its worth.

I was required to learn VI while coding in linux in grad school. Professionally, I use Visual Studio daily. Each environment definitely has its own advantages and disadvantages. As a result, neither environment is superior to the other in every situation. There is quite a steep learning curve associated with some text editors, but the payoff is huge if you stick with it.

Why do I need to waste my time learning that when I'm perfectly happy with my IDE? You're just doing what I said in my first post. You say the payoff is huge, but no one has ever been able to tell me what that payoff is. I would rather spend my time learning more about programming than learning some steep learning curve of something that just makes it possible for me to program.

The payoff, obviously, is efficiency. An IDE is not the right tool 100% of the time, and likewise, a text editor is not the right tool 100% of the time. Try it for a few months before making your judgment.

I would rather spend my time learning more about programming
You can learn both concurrently -- they are not mutually exclusive. I had to learn both while in grad school.

I basically learned to use a text editor so that I could config my servers. Much better to do the config files manually rather than rely on a GUI to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom