text editors, worth the learning curve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starkmann

Baseband Member
It's a toss up for me if this belongs here or in the Linux topic so I picked one....

Text editors, you know emacs vi and their kin. I know they used to be part of the standard toolkit for all programmers. I have been reading The Pragmatic Programmer and one of their point was "Learn to use one text editor well". I'm not really a programmer but I have aspirations to do some programming, mostly web based. I have played with Emacs and am slowly working my way through the complete built in tutorial. I used vi about 5 years ago when I was actually enrolled in a CS program that I didn't finish.
From my limited, very limited, experience, I don't see the real value of text editors if you are working in a GUI OS. It seems that any old .txt file is as good as the next in Windows. I'm all for mouseless computing but I haven't yet seen that it's terribly convenient to go mouseless in these editors.

Am I just misguided, missing the point, misusing the the app or ar text editors of these types not as useful as they may have once been?

If you become well-versed in VI or VIM, you'll see the benefit. It's takes practice, though. You'll have to force yourself to use it until all the commands sink in. For programming, it can be useful.

I really can't see how a text editor could possibly benefit me over a good IDE. I know to some that is almost a sacriledge, but it seems that a lot of the "open-source" community is pretty closed-minded on things like this. I hear a lot of talk about how much more powerful it is, but I really think it's all talk. How about moving into the 21st century?

I hear a lot of talk about how much more powerful it is, but I really think it's all talk.
Then you should learn it and use it before speculating its worth.

I was required to learn VI while coding in linux in grad school. Professionally, I use Visual Studio daily. Each environment definitely has its own advantages and disadvantages. As a result, neither environment is superior to the other in every situation. There is quite a steep learning curve associated with some text editors, but the payoff is huge if you stick with it.

when I am coding embedded Javascript, XML, HTML, CSS and the like, I use a text editor. Im mostly in a windows environment, and I use Notepad++. And IDE can be nice...but IMO it can be overkill on some things. When you think about it, and IDE is just a glorified text editor. I can't tell you on VI, my experience is nill with it. I can tell you that coding in a text editor first will let you appreciate the power of these newer IDE's.

The bottom line is, if you are sure you'll never be coding in the console environment, vi is unnecessary, as these days a good text editor can do everything and beyond.

Keep in mind, vi was started in 1976.

However, many jobs do require console programming, and it's quite handy for quick changes at that...or browsing a network machine via SSH... A GUI in this case would likely not be available, or just too much of a bother to setup. ...and it's good practice if you're going to ever get involved with *nix. :)

With that being said, vi is good to know, but for your web programming, it is unnecessary and would require quite a bit of overhead to learn (or more importantly, remember all the key combinations).

Just to add my two cents, now that I have learned to use VI, I would be lost with out it. I use Suse 10.2 as my desktop system with the GUI, but I still do a ton of command line stuff. As for web programming with PHP or HTML I am a text editor guy all the way. I love it. And learning it wasn't all that hard. I am still picking up bits and pieces as I go.

bhughesiii said:
I am still picking up bits and pieces as I go.

You and me both...! I love vi, although I only use it at work, and I agree - if you're ever going to use *nix, it's far more then worthwhile.

I personally prefer basic text editors when programming over programs like Word with built in text "functions" (ie. bolding, italicizing, etc). I've become so accustomed to it that i use programs like Notepad/Emacs for everything.

I use notepad all the time. I just have heard that Vi and emas were so powerful by comparison that I was a fool to miss out. Yet, it's always spoken of in kind of mystical, nebulous terms. I have started the emacs tutorial and haven't yet met the great and powerful Oz of emacs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom