Software for MySQL and VB

jakeandrae

Beta member
What type of software does a newbie need in order to run MySQL and VB?

I'm needing to create a database for 300 - 500 members for our community gym. Currently we use paper files to manage everything and it's a mess.

The plan is to assign every member a UPC, print off a card for them and have them sign in and sign out by scanning their card using a bar code scanner.

Any guides or tutorials would be very useful.

I greatly appreciate any help! Thank you!

Well you'd install the MySQL database engine, and for VB you could use Visual Studio.

Although if you're going to use Visual Studio, may want to use SQL Server Express because you won't need MySQL's third party library to connect to the DB with SQL Server.

I'm not very akin to VB myself; I much prefer C# myself. But to each their own, and whatever you're comfortable coding in.

Since your DB and requirements are fairly lightweight, you might consider using MS Access instead of MySQL or, if you want to stick with Opensource stuff, the Base component of LibreOffice.

Since your DB and requirements are fairly lightweight, you might consider using MS Access instead of MySQL or, if you want to stick with Opensource stuff, the Base component of LibreOffice.

I disagree with Access. Even for a low end DB requirement. SQL Server or MySQL. I'm just biased against Access tho too :p.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

I disagree with Access. Even for a low end DB requirement. SQL Server or MySQL. I'm just biased against Access tho too :p.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

Nothing wrong with Access. Just a matter of taste and what you intent to do.

Although it's kind of odd to see him going with VB & MySQL... but then again, nothing wrong with that. Just have to add some additional drive to make it work (thus making it odd).

Back
Top Bottom