Selecting sound devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

e1fjl

Beta member
I am writing a program which listens and reacts to voice coming from a phone line. My program currently uses a 56k modem to dial out and then listens on the line in channel (which has a lead to the modem output) for the voice. I would like to put 5 modems in one computer and run the program 5 times. This might be able to be accomplished if I have 5 sound cards but my question is: is it possible to programatically select which sound card I want the program to listen to? and can each program listen to a different one simultaneously? My program is currently in VB but I can convert it to Java or C# if necassary.

Any input or advice that might be remotely relavant is appriciated.

Cheers

I would like to put 5 modems in one computer and run the program 5 times.
I'm taking this to mean that you want to run 5 instances of your program simultaneously. If that's the case, why not just spawn 5 new threads in one application? Also, do you have 5 phone lines?

Can your machine handle 5 modems and 5 soundcards? Are all the soundcards even necessary? I don't think you can have more than one soundcard active at a time. What is the purpose of this application?

My program basically dials a phone number and then applies voice recognition to the response, but I want one computer to process about 30 calls at once eventually. The first version of my program used a 56k modem to dial and I put a lead from the line out on the modem to the line in on the sound card and then processed the audio using a speech recognition package.

I am thinking about getting a gsm gateway to make the phone calls, the one I looked at had an ISDN 30 output, so I could do with some magical way to plug an ISDN 30 cable into a computer and then be able to access each individual phone call. My initial thought was that I might end up needing 30 sound cards or something unless I find a Terminal Adapter that allows access to each voice call seperatly.

As for multiple threads my program is currently in VB and I don't know if that supports threads, but the next version of the program will probably be in java so that'll make things easier.

I don't know VB, but if you're using .NET then I would guess it has the same threading capabilities as C#. Definitely go with a multithreaded application.

This sounds like an interesting project, and you may need special hardware to get the functionality you want. I would first seach Google for any similar projects to see what others have done. I can't really offer any other help without researching it myself. Keep us updated on what you find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom