Remote file access w/ IP + PHP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejeremy

In Runtime
Ok this might be kind of a loaded question so bear with me:

This project I'm working on deals with streaming music from one computer to another. I'm developing a website where users will be able to register, log in, and enter the IP address of their personal computer that has all their music files on it. Once this is done (and the computer with the music on it is configured correctly) the user will potentially be able to log in from anywhere and stream music from his/her remote personal computer to the computer he/she is currently working on.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone ;)

What I'm wondering is...

1) ...if PHP is capable of accessing a person's file system in the way described above using a provided IP address, given the remote computer is setup to allow such a connection, and...

2) ...if there are better options than PHP, even if PHP can do this?

If more clarification is needed let me know. Any help is appreciated.

Wow, you and your complex projects...! :p

1. "given the remote computer is setup to allow such a connection" - meaning what? The only obvious way I know of is with a FTP server... something like:
1. User registers and provides his/her IP, FTP port, username and pasword.
2. PHP can then parse all directories there and store them on the server...however you'd want - when the user logs in, when the user presses a button, etc. or display a real-time listing of the directories (both require parsing the info for a nice output).
3. The user can:
a. Log in and view the files...and this is where it's a bit odd. You can use the server as a go-between (higher chance for latency issues/more bandwidth unnecessarily used?)
b. Provide a direct FTP link.

Obviously I've never done any "streaming", so I'm not sure what all is involved.

...hmm...perhaps you can use AJAX! Break the file into small pieces, and based on the bandwidth, get the latest pieces of data from the server...haha!

And I am sure there are better options - but what they are - I have no idea!

Hah, I know that didn't help much... anyways, I think your two player PHP game would be much easier - as long as you are familiar with MySQL too, and you're not afraid of either using javascript's XML object or constantly refreshing the page...as all it would be doing is updating the page based on the mysql database info.

Vormund,

It's ok, I know I ask tough questions :)

I ended up finding and downloading some free software that you install on the computer with the music files and it worked just great. This is what I ended up downloading: Slim Devices : Support : Downloads

It's cross-platform and is exactly what I need. My project then is basically a website that acts as a wrapper for the downloaded software. I'm working on seeing if users can browse other users' music libraries. When I'm done I'll post the link here.

Thanks for trying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom