Puff the Magic Dragon Lived by the C!

Binary Ranger

Banned
Hey everyone, how we all doing today? In case you're wondering, I didn't start this thread to talk about Puff the Magic Dragon living by the sea. It was just a pun I came up with as I was writing the title.

My intentions for starting this thread is simple! I wanna know a little bit about the programming language C. I have a few general questions such as:

1. In terms of versatility how does it perform?
2. Is it still used frequently today? Or is it just a subdivision of a language that few people even bother glancing at anymore?...
3. For which occupation would this language be most optimum to learn? (ie software engineer, app programming for Mac, network security, corporate monkey boy, fry cook, street beggar, conspiracy theorist etc.)

Also, if you have any other info you could offer that would be much appreciated. Maybe you know a good programming tutorial site, an interesting trivia fact, or an Illuminati secret that can destroy the whole infrastructure of your local Best Buy. Feel free to share with the rest of us! :very_drunk:

C is mainly used when you want to get closer to hardware.

Currently, off the top of my hand, C is used in OS programming. Windows and Linux are both based heavily off of C.

So it's a precursor to operating system technology? I'm a little unsure of how that works. Do you code C in DOS? Or is it something that is used in a different OS to make other OS?

Not really precursor, more like foundation. Current Windows / Linux OS's are built off of C (and other languages).

You can code C in whatever environment you want as long as you have a compiler, linker/loader.

I see, that clears things up a bit. Do you think it would be a good idea for a computer science major to learn such a language? You know, as a resume skill I mean? Or maybe as something useful to know in general. If so, what should the priority in knowing it be?

Mostly depends on what you would like to do for a job after school.

A lot of companies do C++/Java/C#/web for general applications. C, COBOL, Fortran, etc. would be for more specialized / engineering jobs (COBOL would be for if you're going into the banking industry).

I'm a senior CS major, and our program started out in C++. They allowed us use other languages in our upper-level classes (C#, Java, Ruby etc.). It is good to know the basics (C/C++) since that's what a lot of languages / platforms are based upon. It is a good skill to have to put on your resume, but like I said, it mostly depends on what kind of job you're after.

Do you think it would be a good idea for a computer science major to learn such a language?
Sure. Learning any language will be beneficial.

You know, as a resume skill I mean?
Not really. The only skills you should be listing on a resume are those with which you can demonstrate proficiency by means of a project(s) or previous job.

If so, what should the priority in knowing it be?
The top priority is to learn a language and become proficient in it. Concepts are more important than language specifics.

Last edited:
Sure. Learning any language will be beneficial.

Not really. The only skills you should be listing on a resume are those with which you can demonstrate proficiency by means of a project(s) or previous job.

The top priority is to learn a language and become proficient in it. Concepts are more important than language specifics.

I am aware that learning a language is a good idea. I'm not that green. But I read on a software engineer's site that he often looks to see if people know or understand C. That and since it's kind of a foundation from what I understand it would be a good idea to have a firm grasp on regardless.

I mainly just wanted opinions on the lanuage such as what it could be used for, how difficult it was to learn, etc.

I am aware that learning a language is a good idea. I'm not that green. But I read on a software engineer's site that he often looks to see if people know or understand C. That and since it's kind of a foundation from what I understand it would be a good idea to have a firm grasp on regardless.

I mainly just wanted opinions on the lanuage such as what it could be used for, how difficult it was to learn, etc.

Once you learn a language, it's usually pretty easy to pick up other languages. It's just a matter of learning the syntax after you get the logic down of a single language.

Thought I replied to this already... I must be getting old.

C is very much alive and well, it would be well worth knowing it to some degree but I wouldn't put it on a CV until you've got some pretty significant experience.
Also, I don't know which site you mean by "a software engineer's site" but you can take pretty much anything on the Internet with a pinch of salt, especially if it's Joel.

Back
Top Bottom