project

Status
Not open for further replies.

poo

Beta member
hi everyone

i'm doing my final year project. i have norrowed my choices down to two possibilities......one is the implementation of an algorithm for a perfect hash function. the other project is an XML to relational database converting software product.

i m interested in programming as well as databases. so can't really decide among the two. can anyone give any reason for leaving out one of the choices

hope i'm knocking at the right door

thanks

I would stay away from the hashing algorithm, mainly because there wont be much scope, also what would you class as a perfect hash function anyway?

The XML to relational database sounds perfect for a final year project. After just finishing a bit of work on databases for a company i could see this being extremely useful. Find a specific instance where this might be useful, for example do you know of a database that can be exported to XML? then using your parser you could parse the XML to convert it into a database in another format - effectively converting one database to another, but using XML as the intermediate language means you could offer choices of relational database to convert it to. This would give something with a very broad scope so you would need to set yourself some specific goals since you could continue to add to this forever.

Java could be good since it means your app could work on any platform, although .NET might be worth a look since it has some very good libraries for handling XML. If you do go the .NET route make sure you code in C# (not VB). C# it is very similar to Java so wont take long to pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom