Programming for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on what you want to develop, and if you're developing it for work or not.

Been using C# for one of my classes, and I love it so far. Wasn't much of a transition from C++ (most of the syntax is the same), just with more built in stuff.

It depends on what you're programming for! I began learning to program by learning HTML/CSS at the same time as basic PHP Suggested Text : PHP quick guide by Larry Ullman Learn your web structure and how to script your own validation codes by hand. Loops are your best friend :) Once you learn about the way basic PHP works you can jump into JavaScript and then JQuery. Sqlite is a great thing to match with your php knowledge, at the End of the Larry Ullman text there is step by step instructions on how to create, write into, read from and update databases. If your scripting for web you'll have almost all the tools in your toolbox to create some great pages. -HTML/CSS to structure and style -PHP to validate your own forms -Sql Databases to hold info from your forms -JScript/JQuery to streamline content and make your pages beautiful After you swallow all that information and decide "Yes, I like doing this" try getting into Object Oriented PHP. There's lots and lots of books that can help you get started programming, This is how I did it and I'm quite happy with how my programming skills are progressing. The best way I found to learn was by attending classes, but.... If you don't feel like forking out the high price for text books and college tuition you can always buy a few months of lynda.com and check out the awesome professional tutorials.

VB isn't a terrible place to start, but it really won't help overly much. If you really want to get into programming, might want to start with C. Sure it's a lot harder to understand then VB, but if you can figure out C to start, you can pick up almost any language afterward.
On the other hand, a lot of people give up pretty quickly when they begin with something really hard without much immediate reward. I would suggest against starting with C or even C++.

Been using C# for one of my classes, and I love it so far. Wasn't much of a transition from C++ (most of the syntax is the same), just with more built in stuff.
C# is definitely my suggestion for a starting language. It's more modern than Visual Basic, a lot of companies are using it, it's easy to use because a lot of the hard stuff is built in, and when you're ready to switch to something more powerful, like C++, it's not that much of a jump. Also, you can download Visual C# Express for free, and it's not that much different than the full version in Visual Studio.

Java is a great start, but python is a little more simple and it is good to at least spend a month or two messing around with. Because of it's color coding, and good tutorials, it's great for learning.

Hey this is silly but is there any where you can learn the syntax for each language? In class we are using Raptor as a flow chart then basic to do the dirty work...

I have a ton of PDF books. When going through the books make sure they have applications you can work with while reading. It does you no good to just read and not actually do anything hands on either.

We're writing a few tutorials in programming in C, Haskell and Java soon to be. Few of us being students from Nottingham university.
Feel free to check it out!

-Simon

We don't allow brand new members to post a link saying check this out. 95% of the time it's only for the posters benefit and not the forum.

I gotta agree with the majority here. C/C++ is definitely the place to start if you want to become a programmer. C is the base language for almost all other languages. Also, it is much easier to expand out to other languages, including VB, if you have a solid foundation in C. A lot of schools tend to throw VB at people because it is visual and object oriented, so you can see changes in windows vs just seeing a text output. However, C is the more portable language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom