Program A Microproccesor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusader

In Runtime
Hey i was doing some reading about microproccesors and i was wondering if i was able to get a microproccesor and be able to plug it into my comp and be able to program it.
Cheers

what microprocessor do you want to use?

i completed a college course on microprocessors where we wrote machine code to make different uses of the proc. Prerequisites for the course was AC/DC circuitry, digital electronics I & II.

Well what i mean is how do you get the info(source code) off ur comp on to the microproccesor. Can u get a plug to link them? Because i have a machince code on disk for a microproccesor but how can i get the code on without haveing to pay a proffesional to do it.

It would be a PCI microproccesor but is it possible to do with any microproccesor.
Cheers

No offense... but I'm not really sure you fully understand what you're asking for here...

With that said, you can play with designing microprocessors with languages like VHDL and Verilog.

I have designed and simulated a 5-stage Pipelined MIPS processor in Verilog for a class before. You can run basic assembly or C code on it.

You can get a simulator like VCS or any of a number of others.

Crusader said:
Hey i was doing some reading about microproccesors and i was wondering if i was able to get a microproccesor and be able to plug it into my comp and be able to program it.
Cheers
Lol yea ur right i dont know what im really talking about but like i said i was "reading" and i "wondered". And the thing is i already have the machince code of a website. Im not actually going to carry out the project. But i was wondering the how the process of having a machine code and actually getting it on to the microproccesor works and if its possible to get a plug that goes from the proccesor into the computer. Or can you put it on to a mobo or something.
Cheers

What do you mean by "machine code" and "getting it onto the microprocessor"?

Microprocessors aren't like flash memory, they aren't (generally) programmable. They are made that way by a machine and are not changeable.

Also, generally the "code" (if any) behind a microprocessor is some kind of hardware synthesis language like VHDL or Verilog like I mentioned above. Are you referring to these, or are you referring to assembly language? Assembly language is closest to the general description of "machine language" when you hear it mentioned.

OK that is most likely what is called a "PLA" (Programmable Logic Array) which you need to buy specifically, and you also need a machine that would allow you to 'burn' it.

You would probably be able to simulate this kind of design in a program like Logic Works (google this) and play with it. Depending on how low level you want to get, you can write it in a synthesis language like Verilog (some programs can burn verilog to prototyping chips) or you can actually work out the logic at the gate/mux level itself.

I would guess that if you had a PLA to store the writing to display (7 x 30 or whatever it specified) and then a multiplexer and a clock to select the appropriate line from the PLA to activate the LEDs which would be switched by AND gates connected to the outputs of the multiplexer and PLA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom