problem with my C++ code

Status
Not open for further replies.

weewun

In Runtime
im a pretty amature programmer, so forgive me sounding silly.

if i create a class, lets call it 'data', then locally declare a member of this, E.G. 'data person;'. i am wondering how i would pass the 'person' into another function dynamically, so if anyting changes it in this new function, it is changed in the origional function. i have tried experimenting with pointers and referances, but im not sure how to do it. if any1 can help, please do so! cheers

Here is a simple console program that demonstrates what you are wanting. I made a class called "data" with an integer called person. The constructor for this class sets person = 11. Then I made another class called "other" just to show that it is definitely out of scope of the data class. This class has a function that takes a pointer as an argument. When I called this function from the main function, I sent the reference of the integer "person" from the data object that I created. A reference is the address of a variable. A pointer is a variable that holds a reference address. In this "other" function, the value is changed to 52, which affects the original variable.

Code:
#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

class data
{
public:
	int person;
	data()
	{
		person = 11;
		return;
	}
};

class other
{
public:
	other(){};
	void changeVariable(int *change)
	{
		*change = 52;
		return;
	}
};

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{
	data myData;
	other myOther;
	cout<<myData.person<<endl;
	myOther.changeVariable(&myData.person);
	cout<<myData.person<<endl;
	cin.get();
	return 0;
}

sorry :( i dont think i said what i was meaning too... what im wanting to do is have a class 'data' then initialise, like 'int numbe;' called person, then pass through the entire class...
e.g.
class data {
int itemone;
int itemtwo;
};

int anotherfunction(data *aperson)//pass the whole class through
{
aperson.itemone=10;
return;
}

int main(){
data person;
anotherfunction(&person);
}

i am coding on a PS2 development kit, so the debug is not ver helpful, but for the code above it would say:
request for member `itemone' in `aperson', which is of non-aggregate type `data *'

cheers for the help

haha! i found out what iw as doing wrong! i gotta use

(*aperson).itmeone=10;

cheers for the help again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom