problem with microsoft visual C++

Status
Not open for further replies.
baronvongogo said:
can you give us some of the code your running please.

EDIT: Also have you gone to build then clean solution to make sure its not running from the file in the debug folder.
It is not the code, it happens all the time, on any project, new ones, old ones a like, even the default Hello World App, without any changes. All you have to do is create it, run it, leave it running, then rebuild all, and you will get the linker error about unable to open executable for writing, and it locks.

Did you try deleted the contents of the debug folder?

tried copy and pasting the code and creating a new project?

are you the admin on your pc and have full control?

do other c++ programs work?

have you tried bloodshed dev c++ to make sure it is a visual studio problem.

baronvongogo said:
Did you try deleted the contents of the debug folder?

tried copy and pasting the code and creating a new project?

are you the admin on your pc and have full control?

do other c++ programs work?

have you tried bloodshed dev c++ to make sure it is a visual studio problem.

The following should answer above:
1 I reboot PC
2 Create brand new, from scratch, default Hello World using App Wizard, I do not modify anything, just use what was generated by App Wizard.
3 Build & run (works great, no problems) Window with Hello World appears.
4 Leave App running
5 Build, get error about Unable to Write Executable file (because I left it running)
6 Try to close Visual Studio, get error that says Cannot close while build is still in progress. The only way I can stop Visual Studio is to CTRL ALT DEL, VS thinks that linker is still running, and is waiting for it to finish. (It actually did finish, but VS doesn't realize that).

Step 6 is my problem that I am trying to solve.

Also have you tried without using the app wizard and just started from scratch.
No, but I assume that would work the same, but I have made the default console hello world app, with same results.

well considering you have reinstalled the software its a tough one to pin down...im stumped I cant seem to recreate that problem on my comp.

go to tools then options and in the list go to debugging and open it up.

in edit and continue is ask first the only box not checked?

is it visual studio express or the full version? have you downloaded any .net frameworks?

I just got done installing service pack 5, it fixed problem.

Although, I am concerened about what broke it in the first place, originally it worked fine.

Obviously, at some point a shared file was changed/removed and it was not part of original VS install.

But, it must have been part of SP5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom