Php help

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuobo

Baseband Member
Hello everybody,i just began php yesterday and i've gone far cos i'm deep in html, but when i open my .php file in my browser from my disk, it does not show.Can anybody give me a hint on it?I'll be grateful

Unlike HTML, PHP needs a webserver to run its interpreter.

Download a WAMP (preconfigured package containing Apache MySQL and PHP for Windows) such as AppServ or XAMPP or such.

Once you have a webserver installed, make sure Apache is running, put your .php files in the correct folder (for AppServ it is C:\AppServ\www by default) and then go to http://localhost/yourphpfile.php in your browser).

CrazeD, u're good.U see, iam a complete php noob and dont know what a WAMP is.can you please explain it and where to download it?i've downloaded and installed php5.Should i also download and install mysql?i'm ready to learn them.Thanks alot

Well you can't just download and install. You also need Apache, and then to configure the PHP package with Apache, and then configure PHP/MySQL to work together.

If you wish to install it all separately, I can try to help or you can check out one of the many guides. However, I recommend, since you're a beginner, to install a WAMP.

A WAMP is Apache, PHP, and MySQL all preconfigured, so you just install one thing and everything works like a charm.

AppServ
XAMPP

I haven't tried AppServ but XAMPP is a very quick, easy way to get it all started up and working on windows and has a nice control panel.

Xampp is good for the people getting started out, but when you get a good grip on PHP, you should look into working with installing it from scratch, its a good learning experience and helps you get to know PHP settings in php.ini which you can even tweak from individual scripts when needed (yay ini_set())

Anyway, thats just a little positive thing I thought might peak your interest, if you ever want to pursue that I can give you step by step (ive done XP and Vista setups for Apache, PHP, MySQL more times than i care to mention :p)

Give me a hollar if your interested,

Dr. House

Xampp is good for the people getting started out, but when you get a good grip on PHP, you should look into working with installing it from scratch, its a good learning experience and helps you get to know PHP settings in php.ini which you can even tweak from individual scripts when needed (yay ini_set())

Anyway, thats just a little positive thing I thought might peak your interest, if you ever want to pursue that I can give you step by step (ive done XP and Vista setups for Apache, PHP, MySQL more times than i care to mention :p)

Give me a hollar if your interested,

Dr. House

Agreed.

It also allows you to install custom packages and other stuff more easily, like Perl and Python and stuff.

Agreed.

It also allows you to install custom packages and other stuff more easily, like Perl and Python and stuff.

I wholly agree with that, I remember trying to get GD and a few others up and running, just had to move a .dll file in the right place and restart Apache and vua la! Magic

Good stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom