Ok, here I go.... *Takes a deep breath*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chubz

Banned
Ok, basically, I want to program so that I can make applications and PC games.

Yea, sounds simple..............

But anyways, I have been wanting to program for quite a while, and I HAVE bought about 2 programming books, both of which deal with game programming, BUT I havent had enough time to read them, so I have completely stopped.

What I HAVE noticed though, is how amazing my brain really is. I have stopped reading for about 4-5 months now, and I can STILL remember a lot of the coding.......something that I thought I couldnt remember.

For instance, I can still remember how to make a choice appear and cause results:

IF $name = "Yes" THEN
PRINT "Cool!"

ELSE
PRINT "You are lying!"

END IF
END

I am amazed that I can STILL remember how to do things such as this.

So my goal this summer is to.............................

LEARN VISUAL BASIC PROGRAMMING!!!!!!!!!!!

So here are a couple of questions!

1. Does all programming kind of "stick in your mind" like what I described?

2. How long does it usually take to completely learn programming?

3. What is the best way to keep up with what you learn? A notebook? Notepad? Etc.

4. Is VisualBasic capable of letting you make professional-looking applications and games?

Thanks for any help..............wish me luck!

(School lets out in 6 days, so after it lets out, whenever I get time off from vacation, etc. I will start learning it!)

PROMPT = "Is your name Matt?" $name

IF $name = "Yes" THEN
PRINT "Cool!"

ELSE
PRINT "You are lying!"

END IF
END
What language is that supposed to be?

Anyway...

1.) Basic syntax like If.. Then, variables, etc. is easy to remember, kind of hard to forget. It's when you get to obscure functions and such that you have to keep a few reference manuals by your side at all times. I also sometimes have a hard time when switching between languages; if I'm working in PHP and I've recently began programming VB, I'll leave out semi-colons, or I'll reference variables with a $ in VB, etc.

2.) There's no such thing as "completely" learning programming. For one thing, most languages are being constantly revised and upgraded. For another thing, there are always limitations in one language that you need another language to make up for, and it could take a lifetime to totally learn every language available. And then you can program your own languages, etc. etc. It just keeps going and going and going...

3.) Er... practice? Learning to program is a lot like learning a real language, it's hard to catch on from just taking notes. To truly learn it you have to see it and use it in context. A lot.

4.) VB isn't great for games, and not many commercial apps are programmed in it. But it's a great, great place to start programming because the syntax is simple and the IDE is pretty straightforward.

Emily said:
What language is that supposed to be?

Anyway...

1.) Basic syntax like If.. Then, variables, etc. is easy to remember, kind of hard to forget. It's when you get to obscure functions and such that you have to keep a few reference manuals by your side at all times. I also sometimes have a hard time when switching between languages; if I'm working in PHP and I've recently began programming VB, I'll leave out semi-colons, or I'll reference variables with a $ in VB, etc.

2.) There's no such thing as "completely" learning programming. For one thing, most languages are being constantly revised and upgraded. For another thing, there are always limitations in one language that you need another language to make up for, and it could take a lifetime to totally learn every language available. And then you can program your own languages, etc. etc. It just keeps going and going and going...

3.) Er... practice? Learning to program is a lot like learning a real language, it's hard to catch on from just taking notes. To truly learn it you have to see it and use it in context. A lot.

4.) VB isn't great for games, and not many commercial apps are programmed in it. But it's a great, great place to start programming because the syntax is simple and the IDE is pretty straightforward.

Ok, thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Also, just one more question.

Are there any free VisualBasic things that I can write code in? The only ones I know of cost money. :(

There are a few free VB compilers out there, but the thing is that virtually all VB books are as much on the Microsoft IDE as on the syntax. So if you're going to try a compiler other than Microsoft's, you'll have to learn it by yourself.

Most, if not all, Visual Basic books come with a "working model" edition of the IDE that does everything except make the .exe's. The working model edition would probably work out fine for you.

With that said, if you still want a free, non-Microsoft compilers, I've seen Envelop around a lot (but I've never used it).

Oh, ok.

Do you know Visual Basic programming? (Sorry if youve already said).

If so, what all have you been able to make with it? And have you ever even tried making a game, no matter how simple it might have been? :p

Anyways, thanks for the help.

Yeah, I know it pretty well. I've written about a hundred programs in VB so it's hard to generalize what I've been able to do with it...Here is what I'm working on right now. I've also done HTML editors, lots of math-related programs, a web browser, etc. etc. I'm not into gaming so I've never tried making one. Animation is sort of clumsy in VB though.

What kind of games are you looking to make? I can warn you that games are very, very complex, unless you're shooting for Hangman or other word/memory things like that.

I know this is quite off topic, but i had to share it with someone and chubz seemed like the person. The things i plan to do this summer:
1. Linux- start with knoppix and then get like fedora or mandrake or something
2. Mod my xbox- a chip, and paint it.
3. Learn some programming.
not of it is really anything too hard, but it'll all be nice to learn.

SharpDevelop is a free IDE for C# .NET, VB .NET, and it has a form deisgner so it's really sweet.

And most concepts Like IF statements, and Loops you will always know how they work but remember the exact syntax can because it has to be so exact.

And you can make games with Visual Basic but I don't recommend it because I have look for info on making games with Visual Basic and their really isn't much stuff out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom