Novice needs help with Customized Scrolling Text Box In A Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egadsman

Beta member
(Never hit the back button if it says you attachment is too big...I'm going to type this up for a 4th time.)

I posted this question on a couple other forums, but haven't really gotten a completely helpful response. A friend suggested here, so here it goes:

The file attached is what I'm trying to make. It's in its original size an 800x430 rectangle. So is the rest of the site, so normal formatting rules didn't apply. Now, I started this site quite some time ago, before Flash was a popularly accepted medium of design. Well, the guy that wanted it done came back from his 1.5 year hiatus and we decided to finish the thing. No, in hind sight, it would be better suited for Flash design and in the future will be designed that way, but for the moment I want a non-Flash option already created so people who hate Flash can trudge through my table based site.

Now here's the problem: The site, as I said, is table based. It's made up of a format made in Photoshop and transferred for web use using Image Ready and hand written HTML in notepad (I seriously need to upgrade to anything other than notepad). Now, that worked like a dream for most of the site, but two pages (the file attached being a preview of one of them) had quite a bit of text on them, so I opted for embedded text boxes...only problem is that I only really know my way around HTML. I've dove into Flash, but I'm reserving that for a latter version of the site. I started learning PHP and CSS, but wasn't using them at the time, so I've forgotten practically everything. That's all besides the point anyway. I made the layout and figured I'd be able to handle it when I was done...well, I can't, but I think I know what needs to be done.

Here is how I planned to put the thing together: The image would be divided using images ready. The part that would have the text would originally be a static graphic (as it is in the preview). Then, I would remove the static graphic of the text and replace it with a CSS formatted text box and pray it fits snugly. Then I would have the two anchors on the site link to sections of the scrolling text. The problems with that are 1) my fancy little customized arrows would not be there. It would just be a normal scroll bar (which if worst comes to worst, I can just put the fancy one off until the Flash version) and 2) I still don't know diddly about CSS, so I really don't know how to code it properly.

Now is this going too overthetop? I know that to get those scroll buttons, I'll probably have to use JavaScript, and well...I took a C++ class once...that's it. So, if this is a manageable problem, or (praying) even a common one, I would greatly appreciate the help and have no problem acknowledging your help on the credits section of the page (not that that probably means anything to anyone, but I thought it common courtesy). So thank you beforehand.
------->Jeff Compton

Oh, and what would anyone recommend in how to go about learning: CSS, PHP, maybe JavaScript?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom