New Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncantara

Solid State Member
So I've done some HTML programming and some random flash web site animations but don't have any real programming experience with any particular language or know where to start. I would like to be able to make applications, maybe focus more along the lines of GUI or database type programming, not sure yet without getting my feet wet first. Any tips on which programming language to start with first to branch off into others later would be most helpful. From what I've read I should maybe start with Visual Basic since it is more graphical, drag and drop sort of programming?

I'm not sure whether Visual Basic is the best introduction or the worst. This is what I wrote in another thread and it stands for your situation as well:
VB is OK and should be a pretty gently introduction. Python, Java and C# are other options. Python is high level and interpreted which can make it more accessible but on the other hand it relies on whitespace which can make it frustrating at times. Java is pretty simple to learn but difficult to master, I can help you a lot if you choose Java. C# is probably roughly equivalent to Java but I won't be able to help you with it as much.

I think VB is a good introductory language. It's simple enough that you can get the hang of things like If statements, loops, arrays, strings etc. and all the things you'll need to have an understanding of how they work. I wouldn't spend your time mastering VB (even though it wouldn't take long once you understand most of the complex commands) just use it to gain an understanding of how things work, then branch off into other programming languages.

I like VB more than Python for a starting language because it allows you to do a lot (like text boxes, buttons, etc) without having to code each and every thing, whereas in python it doesn't hold your hand as much.

I started off with visual basic a long time ago, and at first I thought it was the greatest thing. But then when I wanted to get on to more complex programming I got stuck. I think that vb is too complex for a beginner, at least before they learn the fundamentals of programming. I restarted my programmin studies with an MIT OCW intro to computer science course. The OCW courses are basically the curriculums of actual courses put online for free with video lectures. This course used python and I felt it taught the concepts of programming very well compared to visual basic tutorials. Here is the course
I think that after you learn the concepts of programming, visual basic would be a good way to get into GUI programs. I know that command line programs can be boring/scary at first but if you want to learn it right then they are what you should start out on in my opinion

Have you tried Microsoft C#. You can get it at Microsoft.com/express/downloads! It works pretty good and it's really easy to learn!

So I've done some HTML programming and some random flash web site animations but don't have any real programming experience with any particular language or know where to start. I would like to be able to make applications, maybe focus more along the lines of GUI or database type programming, not sure yet without getting my feet wet first. Any tips on which programming language to start with first to branch off into others later would be most helpful. From what I've read I should maybe start with Visual Basic since it is more graphical, drag and drop sort of programming?

I would very much welcome you to a programming team me and a few friends are starting, myself, I'm a beginner and they are teaching me what they know while we work on projects, please PM me if you are interested, we are always looking for new programmers in any language!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom