My SQL Database Creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axehack

In Runtime
Hi, for some reason my tables wont create... i cant see anything wrong with the code tho, have a look.

create table projpromo
(
promoid int(10) auto_increment,
promotype char(20),
promotitle char(30),
promodate DATE,
promotime int(5),
promodesc TEXT,
primary key (promoid,promotype)
);

create table projuser
(
userid int(10) auto_increment,
promotype char(20),
title char(10),
forename char(20),
surname char(20),
email char(20),
acctyp char(10),
accpass char(20),
primary key (userid),
foreign key (promotype) references projpromo(promotype)
);

Please let me know asap if u realise what im doing wrong.

Cheerz

What error message do you get? Also, what db are you using? Different dbs may use different names for their data types.

You'll need to post the errors.

For the second you need an engine that supports foreign keys. Engines such as MyISAM and MEMORY don't have support for them.

I am using mySQL
The error code is: 150 (foreign key restraint i believe, but I dont see the problem)

The 1st table gets created, but nothing does after that. I had it configured so that the second table referenced promoID rather than type have discovered that this will not work.

I am considering making another table for promotype, as this may be a better idea

Then did you read the second part of my post? It's very likely that you're trying to apply a foreign key to a table using MyISAM.

no thats not the case, as every database we have created for the past 2 years have contained foreign keys.
After a bit of thought, i realised that I had to create an additional table anyway for proper reference. All is working well now! Thanks for your replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom