MS-DOS question

Status
Not open for further replies.
With two versions of Windows the second going on can't be older for a start. With XP Home on one ide drive and XP Pro on the second one. Vista then replaced XP Pro on the second since the new version wants the first primary. I later had to reinstall Vista all over once XP Pro was installed onto the first of two sata drives.

For two drives when installing to the second the existing copy on the first is added into the boot record/mbr/boot.ini for XP as an option while that stays on the first drive even while the second copy of Windows is installed to a second drive the first drive still remains the default boot device.

The second copy of Windows will become the default OS. The msconfig utility's boot tab in both XP and Vista can be used there for selecting which will be the default afterwards. For XP you can edit the boot.ini as well while with Vista the EasyBCD tool is available for the new boot loader there.

When running Linux a few back on a second drive along with 98 there and XP on the host I tried a few universal boot loaders that installed into the mbr besides the ubuntu boot manager floppy mentioned earlier.

One saw push buttons with icons for each different OS where you simply scrolled and pressed the enter key once the OS was highlighted. That was a little odd and soon saw the boot floppy used. :p

"Type" still works in XP

syntax:

type [filename]

lists the file in command window. You can try maybe a /p option to get a page at a time if it scrolls past the 24 lines, but I'm not sure if that will work.

type [filename] > [file copy]

even wildcard

type [file.*] > [file copy]

sends the output to a new file instead of screen

I forget the DOS print redirection, but it could be something like...

type [filename] > prn

but then this would only work if your set up for character printers. You'll need a utility to print to True Type.

(Boy I'd sure like to get into Linux, paranoid MS has taken away so much from the user, it's no more fun to use Windows. They're really scared of Debug, there's hardly anything else left of the functionality.)

See also help (XP)

command-line reference A-Z

Spence

Besides command prompt key terms there there also several you can use at the Run prompt as well. XP Run Commands - Tips & Tricks - Erik's Wiki

The command prompt seen in the newer versions since the 9x family still sees a dos type prompt there. A full list of commands for the XP console are seen at Windows XP Commands

Who said Vista doesn't still see a manual command prompt? Windows Vista Command Line List and Reference

Now for Linux that's a totally different ball game there getting accustomed to the Bash commands. Linux bash commands - MAN Pages But you can master those in 10 easy steps. Master the Linux bash command line with these 10 shortcuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom