Motion Sensor reprogrammed

Status
Not open for further replies.

shavo14

Beta member
I have an idea and have no way of getting to it. The idea is to have a video camera placed in a room with music playing. As you walk in front of the camera, it senses your presences, and slows down the music. As you pass the camera, the music returns to normal play speed. Can someone help me?

Well first of all it'd depend on the camera you use. Is it a network camera? Does it have any outputs on the back (e.g. output pins which can be set high or low depending on whether there's motion or not)?

Im pretty new to all of this. It was just an idea that I would like to realize. So first, I need a video camera with outputs to plug into some sort of receiver right?

At the theoretical level:
1. You need some way for the camera to tell the PC it's detected movement. This can be either by sending a voltage signal to a port on the PC, or if it's a network camera you can send a alert through the network.
2. Then you'll need to write a script on the PC to slow the music. This can be done in whatever language you want really.
3. When the PC stops receiving alerts from the camera about movement, the script can speed the music up to the correct speed again.

Thanks, you have been a great help, but I have one more question and I think I could take it from there, what type of program would that be, one that pertains to video footage or something entirely on its own?

the program wouldn't be anything to do with video footage. It would monitor a port on the pc (e.g serial port, usb port, network port, whatever you've decided to send the alert signal from the camera to), then when it receives a high or low signal on that port you can associate that with movement or no movement.

I'm guessing that most cameras will not have the software to be able to detect the change. I'm sure you could get a proper motion detector for less than a camera and be sure that it will do a better job. After that you still need to do what soul said.

Would motion detectors come with such programs or are there any programs that could monitor the camera, motion sensor and apply such a script?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom