Make a python script that picks up ip's and mac-addresses at the local network - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Programming
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2017, 07:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Post Make a python script that picks up ip's and mac-addresses at the local network

I am trying to make a script that can pick up all the ip's and mac-adresses for the ip's at the local network at work, and I am kind of new to programming.
In the first row am I trying to make a script that picks up all the ip's and mac's and get them printed in a xml file, but in the end do I want to make a WOL script for all the pc's I have picked up the mac's for.
I have also been told we want as much as possible of the code in functions, so other scripts can be placed "upon" this one as easy as possible.
I have tried arp -a and alot of other things, but I always come short in ip's and mac addresses, since I do expect max 100 ip's, but get around 10 when I use arp -a...
So if anyone have any tips related to this, I would be more than happy to read it!
Thanks!

Old 12-10-2017, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Make a python script that picks up ip's and mac-addresses at the local network

Hi,

So you want a script to scan your LAN daily? and output every IP & MAC it finds?

Old 12-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Make a python script that picks up ip's and mac-addresses at the local network

Well, we have alot of computers with simulators, and we need a wake on lan script, so we can run that daily or whenever we need it. For example if we can place the script in the Windows Scheduler so it runs at a specific time every morning.
But yes, I want a script that scans the LAN for all the mac's and ip's and output all of them, then wakes them up.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Is there a particular reason you'd like to stick with Python? You can easily do this with Powershell if that's an option for you.
e.g. here's a function that'll send a WOL packet to the specified mac/port/ip; scanning a subnet for active IPs is super easy too
Code:
function Send-WOL
{
<# 
  .SYNOPSIS  
    Send a WOL packet to a broadcast address
  .PARAMETER mac
   The MAC address of the device that need to wake up
  .PARAMETER ip
   The IP address where the WOL packet will be sent to
  .EXAMPLE 
   Send-WOL -mac 00:11:32:21:2D:11 -ip 192.168.8.255 
#>

[CmdletBinding()]
    param(
        [Parameter(Mandatory=$True,Position=1)]
        [string]$mac,
        [string]$ip="255.255.255.255", 
        [int]$port=9
    )

$broadcast = [Net.IPAddress]::Parse($ip)

$mac=(($mac.replace(":","")).replace("-","")).replace(".","")
    $target=0,2,4,6,8,10 | % {[convert]::ToByte($mac.substring($_,2),16)}
    $packet = (,[byte]255 * 6) + ($target * 16)

$UDPclient = new-Object System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient
    $UDPclient.Connect($broadcast,$port)
    [void]$UDPclient.Send($packet, 102) 

}
https://gallery.technet.microsoft.co...using-0638be7b
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, I know nearly all of our scripts is written in Python, so may it be something about them being compatible with eachother? I have only been told that Python was the wanted language for this script, and currently Python is the most (still little) foreign language to me. So I guess the best would be if this one was in Python too
Old 12-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Looks like someone's written a python module already too: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/wakeonlan/0.2.2
Or alternatively, here it is in a function: https://github.com/bentasker/Wake-On.../master/wol.py

For the mac address part, FIRST scan your whole subnet for active IPs (ping each ip in the range). If you get a response, your arp table will update with that record including the mac address.

After that it should be pretty straightforward to build the list of host details to send to the WOL function. If I get time today I'll see if I can get something written for you, but it's gonna be a busy one -_-

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
python, script, wol