make a game

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you could just post more information that would be great. Like what type of game you are planning on making and what you want it to do. What is your price range etc.

How much programming experience do you have? Is there going to be alot of animation? Easy graphics (2D) or more complex?

If you are not a good programmer at all, there are many programs that will make the game for you. Which program you want depends on what type of game you want.

If you have a good amount of programming experience:

For simple programs, normally, I turn to either C++, Flash or Java.

If you want to learn/utilize a language solely for animation and games, I would strongly suggest learning Flash, especially if you are not that much of an experienced programmer. Flash is a very easy language for animation, and for experienced programmers, only takes a dedicated month to learn.

As for Java,it is one of the strongest (if not the strongest) programming language. I would not suggest Java if you are planning on doing only gaming in the future. However, if you want to learn GUI for more than just gaming, Java is a great way to go.

If you have a large knowledge about C, then, read up about Delphi. I've heard alot of praise about it, but I do not have much experience in it because I'm a Java guy.

If you chose C++ or Java, you probably want to make it into an .EXE. Otherwise, only those with the virtual machines would be able to run the programs (humongous hastle). There are programs out that transfer all of the classes into one .EXE. These programs are very expensive (400 dollars and up), but you can download a 30 day trial if this game is a one time thing.

Lemme know how it turns out.

I just started DARKBASIC. It's an easy language to learn, but it's also very efficient, with fast results :)

If you want to make games commercially in the future, I'd learn C or C++ for sure. If you want to make high scale games fairly easily (compared to C or C++) I'd learn C# since it's amazing, and can take full advantage of DirectX.

Java is good, but not as good as C#. As for all the rest, I would just stay away from them unless you want to exile yourself from the game programming world.

Flash is good for small games with lots of animation, but I have NEVER, let me repeate, NEVER seen a large scale, outstanding game done in Flash.

Personally C, C++, C#, or Java would be your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom