Looking for a good "zip" utility....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdexter57

Beta member
Hi all,

I am looking for a good zip utility that can handle my requirements as follows:

1. Must be able to accept an input file. This means I want to tell the zip utility (VIA Command Line) to read an input file and zip the file specified on each line within the input file.

2. Must have a Command Shell option.

I am writing a script that looks for a bunch of files that match a given criteria. The script then enters the full path of each file found into an "input" file. I then want the zip utility to read the input file and add into a zip package each file that was found.

My dilemma is that I had this working using 7z, but wouldn't you know 7z has a bug that when you try to create a zip package it does not write the "path" column into the zip package. So you end up with a package that you are unable to restore from. This is not good especially if you have file names the same that came from different directories.

I then tries to use WinZip, but the CLI Add-on requires a full install of Winzip with License purchased.

This brings me to my 3rd requirement.

3. Must be installed in a self contained directory.

I plan on putting the installation files onto a filer share and running my script to archive private files for my users.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have spent 3 days looking for a good compression tool that accepts the input file switch and does not require licensing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom