Looking for the best java book..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddymofo

Baseband Member
Hey guys, so Im currently on a year out of my "foundation degree" course which is basically equivalent to the first 2 years of university, in computer science. I am returning in September for my 2nd year however throughout the first year I was getting 40/100 in my programming (JAVA) and I want to take my year out time to completely learn it so I am confident to go back in and get something more like 80 or 90/100! Not just exams, my coursework I found tough too, mostly because I didnt put in the work but still found Java confusing to learn. Which books would anyone recommend, maybe 1 for learning the basics down to a tee then something to push a little more then into more detail? I have been looking around but hoped maybe someone in my position could point me in the right direction. Im thinking about getting "Head First JAVA". Thanks

Why not just go through your college text book? i know they arent the best but my current one seems decent so im sure they are useful(assming you hvent sold it already)

no i didnt get one, we just got little pages of info on each thing as we built it up, then new prints of examples. but im talking about a thick $50+ book from beginner to quite a decent java programmer, at least of university level. Dont mind if its a few books, money is not an issue here.

"Java Concepts - 5th Edition" is the book we use.... It seems to be okay..but it did cost $130 lol So yea if you can find something decent for cheaper than that I guess i'd go for it.

Why not just reuse the old hand outs? Plus you can find A LOT of decent tutorials online that help with this kind of stuff....then when you get confused you can always just ask here or look at the java API

We use "Java Programming" by D.S. Malik. It is pretty decent, but like my instructor said "Java text books all suck but this is the best out of them all IMHO"

We use "Java Programming" by D.S. Malik. It is pretty decent, but like my instructor said "Java text books all suck but this is the best out of them all IMHO"

yea my professors said the same thing pretty much..they also said it's something you have to do and "absorb" .

So if you want to skip out on the money, I'd just find tutorials online and find practice things to do.

Exactly what do you know and what are you comfortable doing? (Just curious lol)

Right now if you told me to write on an a4 page how to output basic text id be screwed. Its been more than half a year since i did any, but even then i was so confused bcz i never did my own work at home etc, i want to go from complete beginner to a decent enough programmer, and i have untill september to do so :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom