Licensing

Kalani

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

I've been tinkering if visual studio and can't figure out how to license software. Anyone got an idea?

Do you mean licensing an application that you've created?

You choose a license (if going open source), or create one (if you intend to sell it), and include it in the application usually as a readme.txt, inside the application (in like a help window), or displaying a license agreement before the install of the application (if your application is installable) that they must accept.

As for preventing piracy of a for-sale application...well that's a very large issue and a very difficult one to bypass.

Do you mean licensing an application that you've created?

You choose a license (if going open source), or create one (if you intend to sell it), and include it in the application usually as a readme.txt, inside the application (in like a help window), or displaying a license agreement before the install of the application (if your application is installable) that they must accept.

As for preventing piracy of a for-sale application...well that's a very large issue and a very difficult one to bypass.

I want to have a 25 Character license key for Beta's. and something to as a online "Donate' that intergrates with PayPal that will give a 'thanks for donating' and a few extra features.

Ah so actually generating a license key and such.

Lots of different ways to do that man - you'll need to research on how you would like to approach it. I've made a simple one before that uses the computer's MAC address to generate a license key for the system, and then it uses that to verify on startup. I need to refactor / rebuild it though, because I didn't build it all that great (knowing what I know now about encryption and such).

Also, although being very insecure (It's only for betas) I could use a code generator and put it into a SQL database. But how would I make it so that it remembers you've put the code in.

I was looking up, what do you think of registry keys?
What about registry keys? You mean storing the license in the registry? Doesn't really matter...your biggest issue is creating a fairly secure license key in the first place that isn't easily broken.

Also, although being very insecure (It's only for betas) I could use a code generator and put it into a SQL database. But how would I make it so that it remembers you've put the code in.

A remote or a local database? If a local one...you'd have to encrypt it so the user couldn't just modify the database. If a remote one...you'd have to have your application be an "online required" kind of application where it can verify the license either on startup, or periodically with a background service.

Back
Top Bottom