Learning HTML

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupDoGG

Baseband Member
Hey, I'm currently learning HTML(from html.net mainly) and I think I'm doing pretty good at it, juts getting back into it again today really, and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to practice it. 14 pages can only go so far, I was planning on getting familiar with HTML for at least 3+ months before even looking at CSS. So I've pretty much been just using notepad, randomly making tables, and then just kept adding below, but I'm just really not sure if I should just keep doing stuff over and over again until I can remember everything, or if there's certain things I should do. Really just looking for any suggestions on how to practice and learn it better.

Perhaps try to make a few sites? Combine all the things you have learner/know into a site. Thats pretty much waht you do in a course. Although html is rather simple...so dont spend tooo tooo much time on it.

Not really sure WHAT to put onto a site though :( any suggestions lol? I guess I'll have to think about what I wanna make a site on and just do it for fun. I don't have photoshop or anything like that, so I can't really make my own images btw. What's the best free web hosting in your opinion? I think I was using .webs before, they were kinda nice, simple to use and all, and they have a "html only" option, so that they won't give you help building it and all :) I'll have to check if my account/website is still usable or if they shut it down for inactivity.

Thanks for the suggestion!

You don't actually have to host it, you can just view it in a browser to see how its looking, like its just for practice. As for the topic/subject of the website, just do anything. One of the things i did was a website on video games... Actually put content tho, for it is like a real site. Not having photoshop is a problem, as you really need photo shop for any kind of a decent site...making button, things like that.

3 months is way too long. HTML is just a markup language so move quickly onto styling with CSS and then dynamic creation with PHP. You never have to remember everything about each language or technology you use because there are always reference documents and manuals available.

Yeah I know not having photoshop might be a problem, but meh whatever, I mainly wanna learn this stuff as a hobby, not sure if I'm ever gonna really have to use it, but I'd just like to know in case I ever wanna use it. Yeah I really wanna get into PHP soon, it seems a lot more harder(more of a challenge for me), and it seems like there's a lot more stuff you can do with it

^yes html is really just a stepping stone to get you used to the concepts. Its very basic, and rather easy to get. If you find your self finding it hard to understand, then spend more time with it, but if you got everything down pat, like you don't need everything memorized, but you know what i mean, then move on.

I'm thinking I'm gonna learn JavaScript after CSS instead of PHP, does this seem like a good idea? I can't really figure out HOW I would use PHP(or HTML for that matter) on the free host that I found that allows PHP and has Apache and all that installed onto it. I was gonna use Heliohost.org , But since I'm having problems figuring it out still, I'm just gonna keep using webs.com since it's pretty easy to understand and use, but it doesn't allow PHP, but I think it might allow JavaScript since JavaScript doesn't need any software(right?).

you could build a personal demo site. include the following

drop down menus; java script, flash, or php
contact us form that sends input text to a known recipient
show related products like amazon.com
create different layout schemes; three colunm bars, photo gallery, store locator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom