JET SQL question

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardmp92

Daemon Poster
Hello,

Using Access 2003. I have an existing table and am trying to rename a column to a new name. I know I have to use the ALTER TABLE statement, but then I am not sure how to rename the column. All the references I have show difference "dialects" to rename.

Wondering if anybody can help.

Thank you.

Mike

bah fine be difficult

http://www.blueclaw-db.com/alter_table_ddl.htm

Below is the syntax for the alter table statement borrowed from Microsoft Access 2003 help system.

ALTER TABLE table {ADD {COLUMN field type[(size)] [NOT NULL] [CONSTRAINT index] |
ALTER COLUMN field type[(size)] |
CONSTRAINT multifieldindex} |
DROP {COLUMN field I CONSTRAINT indexname} }

ex. ALTER TABLE Employees ALTER COLUMN Emp_Email TEXT(50);

Thanks csamuels, great website, but this only provides commands to alter columns by adding, dropping, or changing the field type...not renaming the existing columns. I have searched many websites on the net as well as 3 SQL books I have here on my desk. I cant figure it out.

This is what I got below, but I am getting an error: "Syntax error in ALTER TABLE" statement.

ALTER TABLE PURPLE
ALTER COLUMN "COLUMN1" to "COLUMN2", CHAR(15);

Also, after the error statement window is closed, does the part left highlighted show the "location" of the error?

looks like you'll have to drop the column and recreate then readd your data

The DDL Alter Table statement provides you with the ability to ADD/DROP table fields and to change data types as well as modify or create indexes.

SQL has a stored procedure called sp_rename but i dont think this will work for an access db

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom