java help

Status
Not open for further replies.

skullker

Solid State Member
hey every time i compile i get errors with the JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(s) in the switch statement any help would be great
""incompatible types
found : void""

here is the code

import java.util.Random;
import javax.swing.*;
public class Fish{

String size;
String type;
String location;

public String Fish(String type, String location, String size){
String input = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Press:" + "\n" + "1 for Bass" + "\n" + "2 for White perch" + "\n" + "3 for Yellow cat fish"
+ "\n" + "4 for Spec Trout" + "\n" + "5 for Red fish" + "\n" + "6 for Grouper");
int choice = Integer.parseInt(input);
switch (choice){

case 1: String input1 = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("what is the size(length) of your bass?");
String input2 = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("where did you catch your bass?");
double siz = Double.parseDouble(input1);
double loc = Double.parseDouble(input2);
String output = JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Sorry but you bass is not big enough to keep so through it back or i will tell on you");
String output1 = JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "You caught a fresh water bass that is " + siz + "inches long and you caught it in " + loc);
if (siz <= 13)
return output;
else
return output1;
break;

case 2: String input3 = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("what is the size(length) of your White perch?");
String input4 = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("where did you catch your White perch?");
double siz1 = Double.parseDouble(input3);
double loc1 = Double.parseDouble(input4);
String output2 = JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Sorry but you White perch is not big enough to keep so through it back or i will tell on you");
String output3 = JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "You caught a fresh water White perch that is " + siz1 + "inches long and you caught it in " + loc1);
if (siz1 <= 0)
return output2;
else
return output3;
break;

case 3:String input5 = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("what is the size(length) of your Yellow cat fish?");
String input6 = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("where did you catch your Yellow cat fish?");
double siz2 = Double.parseDouble(input5);
double loc2 = Double.parseDouble(input6);
String output4 = JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Sorry but you Yellow cat fish is not big enough to keep so through it back or i will tell on you");
String output5 = JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "You caught a fresh water Yellow cat fish that is " + siz2 + "inches long and you caught it in " + loc2);
if (siz1 <= 10)
return output4;
else
return output5;
break;

case 4:String input7 = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("what is the size(length) of your Spec Trout?");
String input8 = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("where did you catch your Spec Trout?");
double siz3 = Double.parseDouble(input7);
double loc3 = Double.parseDouble(input8);
String output6 = JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Sorry but you Spec Trout is not big enough to keep so through it back or i will tell on you");
String output7 = JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "You caught a salt water Spec Trout that is " + siz3 + "inches long and you caught it in " + loc3);
if (siz1 <= 0)
return output6;
else
return output7;
break;

case 5:String input9 = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("what is the size(length) of your Red fish?");
String input10 = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("where did you catch your Red fish?");
double siz4 = Double.parseDouble(input9);
double loc4 = Double.parseDouble(input10);
String output8 = JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Sorry but you Red fish is not big enough to keep so through it back or i will tell on you");
String output9 = JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "You caught a salt water Red fish that is " + siz4 + "inches long and you caught it in " + loc4);
if (siz1 <= 0)
return output8;
else
return output9;
break;

case 6:String input11 = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("what is the size(length) of your Grouper?");
String input12 = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("where did you catch your Grouper?");
double siz5 = Double.parseDouble(input11);
double loc5 = Double.parseDouble(input12);
String output10 = JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Sorry but you Grouper is not big enough to keep so through it back or i will tell on you");
String output11 = JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "You caught a salt water Grouper that is " + siz4 + "inches long and you caught it in " + loc4);
if (siz1 <= 0)
return output10;
else
return output11;
break;
}
}
public boolean caught(){
if (Math.random()*(2)+(1)==1){
return true;
}
else
return false;
}

public int hooked(String lure, String time){
String input = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("What lure did you use?");
String input1 = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("What time did you catch your fish at? include P.M or A.M");
double lur = Double.parseDouble(input);
double tim = Double.parseDouble(input1);
JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "You hooked you fish with a " + lur + "at " + tim);
}
}

You are missing the default case, which you need to add after case 6. In the current code, there is no return value if none of the cases are met.

Hope that helps!

SAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom