Java or C#?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejeremy

In Runtime
Hey forum,

I have a school assignment coming up where I need to design an Image Editor in either Java or C#. Features will have to include (taken from the assignment):

* Loading, displaying and saving images in JPEG and PNG formats.
* Zoom in and out on the image.
* Resize the image (actually changing the number of pixels).
* Rotate the image by an arbitrary amount (clockwise and counterclockwise).
* Perform image corrections on the image. You should at least have blur, sharpen, colorize and invert.

Now I'm not asking for answers of any kind here, I just want to know if anyone has any input on the pros/cons of using Java or C#? I will need to do some GUI programming here, and I haven't done much of that before at all.

Thanks a bunch!

You could use either language. However, if development time is an issue, and you have access to Visual Studio, I would recommend C# -- especially if you have little GUI experience. Also, this assignment would be rather simple using the .NET libraries.

I actually do have Visual Studio 6.0 on my laptop here, and my job that starts in July is all .NET programming anyway, so I might as well take a look at it.

Development time is an issue as well....one week from today :eek:

thejeremy said:
I actually do have Visual Studio 6.0 on my laptop here, and my job that starts in July is all .NET programming anyway, so I might as well take a look at it.

Development time is an issue as well....one week from today :eek:

Visual Studio 6.0 doesn't do .NET. Luckily the latest version of Visual C# Express is a free download at microsoft.com. And the free version works great, too. I don't have much experience with Java, but C# is great. My only complaint is that the end-user has to install .NET 2.0 to run a program. But that is no worse than the fact that the user has to install Java Runtime Environment to run a Java program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom