Internet Usage/C++

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insomniac

Solid State Member
Hey. Im just wondering how I would go about disabling internet access for only one program using C++. Because Im interested in creating a fix for the users of windows Vista that are being forced to send information about the computer to the microsoft hq, and they have reserved the right to delete any file they dont want on your computer. whatever they deem unauthorized...so basically they will end firefox and other programs runnign on it. So yea what command or commands do I need to disable one program from accessing the internet

Im just wondering how I would go about disabling internet access for only one program using C++.
Just use a firewall. You can specify which programs can/cannot access the internet using ZoneAlarm.

so basically they will end firefox and other programs runnign on it.
That's very unlikely. Microsoft has put extraordinary effort into creating a development environment for Windows that's second to none. The .NET framework is absolutely immense (and quite innovative in .NET 3.0), as is the information available for programming Windows. Also, I have yet to find any development tools that are better than Microsoft's. In order for Microsoft to maintain its dominance in the market, they need third party developers to create software for Windows -- and they've done a remarkable job catering to us developers.

Its something that would be interesting for me anyways Id rather do it myself just for something to do. And I havent particularily noticed a firewall that allows you to just block windows, most will only deny windows access if they deny everything access. And Im not a huge fan of zone alarm which i have used before

And I havent particularily noticed a firewall that allows you to just block windows
Windows contains several programs that access the internet. It is these programs that you wish to block. A firewall is very capable of doing that.

Its something that would be interesting for me anyways Id rather do it myself just for something to do.
In that case, you could start by writing a program that monitors all of the ports on your machine. Log the activity (remote ip, remote port, process name, etc.) over the course of day or so and see what's going on. However, you'll probably only see several instances of svchost.exe, which is the generic process that runs services from dll's. You may still want to monitor these processes so that you can observe behavior. It will make it easier for you to research and identify specific microsoft services if you know the behavior and ports they use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom