Im taking Computer Programming For High school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCRMYZ

Banned
Im getting ready to take this course next year. Is it hard? I know mostly hardware specs, I've seen the languages but what can I exspect from the class?

Dont no how advanced it would be for high school Id presume visual basic, PHP, ASP, C#, java maybe c++ .

It isnt hard once you get into it, just takes time and plenty of reading.

Id recommend reading up on programming and trying some out before you start, always best to have an advantage.

Just a thought, hardware specs isn't going to take you anywhere.. Since anyone can look up what something means, but learning how to build a cpu, that's a different story :p

anyhow, computer programming definately takes a certain aptitude, and you really need to be passionate about it before you can succeed.. well.. in anything..

Find out what you will be learning, and start learning :p

if you are gonna be programming...then i suggest a u write mroe and more programs, find out from seniors what kind of programs are out there, as far as reading is concerened..yea lot of books out there, but they mostly give you syntax, but if you write programs u will know what it means...and joining forums will help too.
this was what i was told when i got into programming! all the best, its a lot of fun ..and yes takes apptitude and logical ability.

ALOT of reading, small projects by yourself always helps, this way you will learn different functions/syntax/logical ways of solving a problem - For example - your learning PHP/ASP, a good idea for a small project would be something like Database driven image galleries cos you would learn database stuff/uploading/html/and perhaps permissioning(CHMOD stuff) if you were playing on a Linux Box.

It's also about thinking logically and sometimes, they dont expect you to learn the syntax straight away but rather the logic behind it. Cos once you understand, things will be alot more clearer and the syntax should make more sense.

Hope that helps~!?

I took Intro to C++ / Advanced C++, then my senior year I took AP Java.

High school CS isn't that hard, just read up. You'll find out there are plenty of ways for doing the programs, so its not like math class, where you have to memorize this one way to find the right answer. You can do things in multiple manners with computer science, in genera.

M4A1 said:
I took Intro to C++ / Advanced C++, then my senior year I took AP Java.

High school CS isn't that hard, just read up. You'll find out there are plenty of ways for doing the programs, so its not like math class, where you have to memorize this one way to find the right answer. You can do things in multiple manners with computer science, in genera.

A few things:

It really sucks that my high school didn't offer any computer stuff. I think in the most advanced class u could learn how to make a simple web page using html.

And since my HS did offer math, I took math classes and I actually think that there is a lot of math in programming and unlike you said, there are many ways to solve math problems. They usually tell you to memorize an easy, standard way for solving a problem.

Enough said about math, I am now learning to program and right now everything seems hard. But again, since math and programming are based on logic they work together very nicely. So at this point I'm kind of on the other side: "There are plenty of ways for doing the MATH, so its not like PROGRAMMING class, where you have to memorize this one OR TWO ways to find the right answer."

There is a good reason that I had to take Calculus 1-3, Differential Equations, Discrete Mathematical Structures 1 and 2, and Physics for Engineers 1 and 2 to get my degree in Computer Science.

Math and Computer Science are inextricably linked.

"There are plenty of ways for doing the MATH, so its not like PROGRAMMING class, where you have to memorize this one OR TWO ways to find the right answer."

The syntax you have to memorize but there usually about 500 different ways you can write any semi difficult program. This is one you start getting into efficiency, which is usually gone over in a computer science 2 college class starting with things like measuring efficiency with Big O.

I know, like I said I'm new to programming and yeah I know there are tons of ways of accomplishing a task...some easier than others.

As soon as I get good at this, I'll be rocking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom