How is a web browser created?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerunknown

In Runtime
Rough description, if you're not too busy =p.

I also have a question... would it be possible to integrate an MMO and a web browser?

I have seen both dynamic and image links, in flash and html respectively. I was wondering if there could be a visual web experience, with 3 dimensional objects as links and other various perks, such as chat while browsing, or in game search engines. Just a minor idea I think would be very interesting and I would like to see develop some time in the future =P. It appears that Second Life is halfway there at the moment, too.

Another niggling thought I've had, was a program to check the suitability of a product for your rooms dimensions. For example, if you wanted to buy a wardrobe, then on the site you're buying from, or in a separate program, you could enter the dimensions of both or have it automated and move around the model in a scaled space. Just another thing I would find interesting.

Sorry if I sounded naive in the above post, I often ramble incomprehensibly on the tech forums, especially when I come to a problem I wouldn't be able to solve.

There were a few companies who tried the 3d browser during the '90s dot com boom. It never caught on because 1. The graphics sucked. 2. It was hard to get where you really wanted to go. 3. I wouldn't particularly prefer being in a virtual mall.

Bottom line, no one liked it.:amazed:

How a web browser is run

There is a server, which has all the files that you want to view, and an application on that server that acts as a waiter.

Your browser will turn your domain name that you enter into the bar (www.idontcare.com) into an ip address (183.234.193.232), by contacting DNS servers that know the name of every ip address in the world. This is how the server is contacted. Your computer sends a "packet" that is then routed through a bunch of computers, mainframes, and gigantic servers that direct this packet to it's destination. When it reaches that place, the server is handed the packet that will describe which web page your computer wants, any information (such as my reply) that goes into it, and where it shall travel to get back to your computer. The process is reversed, including a stream of much larger packets that give your computer's browser the raw HTML. The html is processed on the spot into a visual output which is your webpage (this is also why a page is displayed differently on different web browsers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom