How to view .DBF file?

KimBrodersen

Beta member
I have a dbf file that I need to view the contents of. When I try to open in Visual FoxPro 9 It tells me it's missing the memo file.

how do I open the dbf file without the fpt file?

DBF Viewer
DBF is a dBASE file, if You remember.
DBF is a file format typically used by database software. DBF stands for DataBase File. DBF files were originally used in dBase II and continued through to dBase Version IV. The DBF file format originated by Ashton-Tate, but is understood by Act!, Clipper,FoxPro, Arago, Wordtech, xBase, and similar database ordatabase-related products.
DBF files can also be opened by Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access.
Learn more about .DBF files: Visit the dBase web page.

You have two options at least:

1) Create another table with memo field, close it, and rename the memo file to the missing one:
CREATE TABLE NoMemotst (mmm M)
APPEND BLANK
USE
RENAME NoMemotst.FPT TO <YourOriginalFile>.FPT
USE <YourOriginalFile>

2) Open a copy(!) of the table without memo in hexadecimal editor and overwrite its heading information - change all Memo columns to e.g. Character columns. It is just simple change of "M" to "C" but you have to be familiar with haxadecimal representation of binary files. The DBF heading structure is described in VFP help.
Also maybe this utility will help you DBF Recovery Toolbox. Read the information and check it will fit you or not. http://www.oemailrecovery.com/dbf_recovery.html

Refer to the following thread for some possible solutions. maybe it'll help you somehow.
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...e0dfb/dbf-file-corrupted?forum=itprovistaapps

Just a note: You should create a backup copy even for the first option. When working on file with false memo you must not touch the memo field. The only action you should do is to copy non-memo fields into another table.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys for your feedback and help. Sorry, that long time did not respond. This is because the issue was solved and I forgot to tell.) Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom