How hard is Facebook to code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply guys. I understand your concerns about me wanting to create another social media site. That isn't exactly what I'm doing but I can see that you inferred that since I am remaining somewhat vague (I'm paranoid with my ideas :confused:). What I am creating much different that facebook, but it would have the same community feel. The idea is somewhat of a blend of facebook and etsy and I am aiming at a niche market at first then expanding. That's about as much as I can say...

My partner and myself want to stay on the marketing/entrepreneurship side of the business and have two or three programmers invest some time in with us.

Also, since I am here and assume most here are programmers, maybe you can help with this as well: How difficult would it be to find a few good programmers that buy into our vision and want to partner with us and help us build a successful company. I know you guys can make some pretty good cash doing your own thing in the corporate world. So what would it take to get a programmer give up a couple months to a year of their time to build something that could potential be very profitable?

Being a programmer I know it's next to impossible to find one for these reasons:

a) A good programmer is VERY hard to come by. There is an over-abundance of mediocre developers.
b) I have people come to me weekly with their "potentially profitable idea" or "amazing opportunity". Every sought-after developer has heard these terms too many times to count. And 99.9% of the time, unless there is guaranteed payment involved, these entrepreneurs are denied any kind of help. You only have to go as far as craigslist to find a ton of these "opportunity" postings.

It's extremely rare to find an exception. Very often it's the developers themselves that create the next big thing because let's be honest, they understand the market far better than anyone else. But like I said there are exceptions.

Nevertheless I'd still like to hear your idea so shoot me a PM when you have a chance.

Okay. Sounds like it is best for us to just crack down on learning code a little bit more.

And not to knock anyone, but I'm just curious of your opinion, how are you so sure that programmers understand the market better than everyone else? I believe some of the most successful online companies were build by businessmen that understood the need to create value while at the same time realizing the limitations of creating an effective program quickly. I believe they have an ear both in the business world, knowing how much a structure would cost and how to gain market acceptance, as well as knowing that what you can imagine in your head takes a good amount of time to create.

For the record, I think most businessmen are babbling idiots, but I'm talking about the true entrepreneurial types that have Vision, Creativity, and Understanding of everything involved (i.e. the CEO of Zappos)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom