Help Choosing A Language

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arbiter

In Runtime
I started reading a book on C++ as my first programming language to learn for fun over the summer and I'm starting to wonder if I chose the right language. Is C++ still up to date and will it be useful in the future? I also tried looking into Java and C# but wasn't sure about them. I chose C++ because it seemed like a powerful language, but universities seem to be teaching Java for the most part. What would be the best way to go for the long run?

My opinion of C++ is pretty low but it is still as "up to date" as you could want and is widely used by application developers in the field. C++ is plenty powerful but that should be treated as a caution as much as an advert.

In terms of ease of use and predefined features, C++ is one of the worst languages. However when it comes to raw power and ability, it is one of the top languages.

Like I mentioned to you before, you need to decide what programming path you want to take and decide on a language from that.

Don't know really, just learning a language to learn it and hopefully be able to write anything I want in the future.

Well C++ is the language to start from then. Move onto PHP or Python afterwards so you have some web development knowledge too.

I started reading a book on C++ as my first programming language to learn for fun over the summer and I'm starting to wonder if I chose the right language. Is C++ still up to date and will it be useful in the future? I also tried looking into Java and C# but wasn't sure about them. I chose C++ because it seemed like a powerful language, but universities seem to be teaching Java for the most part. What would be the best way to go for the long run?
The "C++" Language is probably a more difficult Language to learn as your first Language just "C" (no pluses) would be easier and "BASIC" even more so.
For the long run "Java" would be better since it runs on many Platforms (including your Phone) and supports multiple Cores easier than "C++" (which is something to consider for the future).

The choice you make must be based on a combination of:
- What do you want the Programs you (usually) write to do.
- How quickly do they need to run versus how easy (quickly) do you want to be able to write them.
- How inclined are you towards Programming (how much of your life will you devote to mastering a Language).
- How much 'power of expression' ("C" versus "C++" for example) do you need.
- How much compatibility with other Languages do you need (both from a point of interfacing (the Programs can talk with each other) and of learning (your Brain can speak both Languages)).

You may be best off to try a month of "BASIC" and see if Programming is for you, if you are certain that it is then a few months of Java may be time better spent.

That sounds pretty good. How do I get started with BASIC? Any good books or tutorials out there that you recommend I start with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom